AGP bus speed? **Please Answer Quickly**

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
I am overclocking a 2GHz Athlon 64 3200+ 1MB L2 to 2.2GHz by increasing the FSB to 220MHz instead of 200MHz. The PCI speed stays locked at 33MHz, but the AGP speed increases with the speed of the FSB at a ratio of 3:1. Is this dangerous?

Yup :p It is if you go too far. With my current system (in sig) I put my fsb to 145 and it put my AGP up to 72 with no problems...but I don't think you want to go above 70 especially with your system...too risky of frying something out I'd think :/

EDIT: Yeah 220 / 3 = 73.blahblah so yeah I think you'd be pushing AGP limits and would be lookin for some possible damage, but I'm no pro on pushin the limits. But it's too far for my likings :p

then back the fsb down a little bit. can't you change the speeds of PCI and AGP induvidually?

If your board has the options for it it can. Mine doesn't, but I don't know about beedubs, the ABit NF7-S2 for example allows you to set your CPU:AGP:pCI ratio which by default I believe is 4:2:1 so you can either change the ratio to it's appropriate proportion which if your FSB was at 200 would be 6:2:1 or also in the case of the ABit board mentioned you can simply 'Lock' the AGP and PCI bus's so that they stay at their PCI:33 and AGP:66

So check your BIOS options beedub...check for an AGP or PCI Bus lock option or see if you have ratio options. It'll be in a set of 3 CPU:AGP:pCI just like that. Like I said by default it'll probably be 4:2:1 but I'm not sure what your computers full specs and defaults are.

as far as I know AGP»PCI ratio is always 2:1....default is 66:33Mhz, the ratio cannot be changed. If u lock the AGP u automatically lock the PCI

yeah the AGP:pCI ratio is always 2:1 but I was giving him the whole combo he needs to look for, but yeah I should have thrown in that statement.
If u lock the AGP u automatically lock the PCI

Best bet is to lock it, but like I said if your FSB is at 200 you could also set it to 6:2:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom