Will this PSU work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1mike

Solid State Member
My brother just bought a PSU that was DoA for his custom computer.. anyway

He bought this case \PSU Combo
Newegg.com - XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Computer Cases

This is his motherboard -
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Willt his PSU work? Reason i ask is because the connector part is black on this one while the other PSU has white clear connectors, there a differnce?

Newegg.com - hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply - Power Cord Included - Power Supplies

Anyway, will this PSU be good? Im thinking no because its prety cheap lol
If its no good any suggestions?

Edit: The DoA PSU just says Xion Xon-450x
Edit2: After reading some reviews seems like a cheap PSU good chance of DoA too anyone got some suggestions
Edit3: Having trouble finding a good one for a cheap price, so I think ill have to suck it up till next pay check and buy a good one.

The PSU is definitely something you don't want to skip out on quality.

I would recommend something made by either Corsair or possibly Antec, as I have used both brands with no problems yet.

What sort of components will he be using? If he is planning on using power hungry/multiple video cards etc it will weigh heavily on the wattage and amperage needed on certain rails.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Maybe something like this could fit into your budget?

EDIT: As far as your question about the colored connectors, that is generally just a color. As long as it has the correct size power pin, and enough pci-e/sata/molex connectors for your build, the color has nothing to do with it.

Unless I am misunderstanding your question?

The 450watt Corsair I linked will be plenty to run that card.
$75 with $20MIR

If he wants some headroom for future gpu upgrades go with the 550watt.

Thanks for the replies, Ill try to convince him to just get the better one before he buys another fail PSU :)

I can tell corsair is the better PSU by reading the discription and it has more than a 50% 5star review lol.

Edit: Hmm is enermax a good brand? Just found this one 6$ cheaper hah or is the one you linked above still better for 6$ more? :)
Newegg.com - ENERMAX Tomahawk ETK500AWT 500W ATX12V V2.2 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

If its good would it work with my brothers mobo and card and such.

Antec makes some good power supplies. I still have a 550watt in my old build that is running like a champ. for $5 less after MIR I would still take the Corsair.

The motherboard you linked has an 8pin 12v connector on the motherboard so having an 8pin 12v connector would be nice. Both of the corsairs I linked have 8pin 12v connectors.

You know what, I just looked at the PSU and it has a 12v 4 Pin for the mobo.. and the mobo has 8 pin slot, my brother told me the PSU was dead because his friend has same exact PSU and when he plugged it in his mobo it worked.

But his PSU that he complaimed to be DoA only has a 4 pin instead of 8... didnt look at it since he brought it last night.

Is there an adapter to plug in the 4pin to the 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom