Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet, Thanks guys! greatly appreciated. I wish I could remember where I read to use the whole tube...And why such a drastic change overnight. Either way I'll re-do this tonight and post back up tomarrow on the results.

Ok now I am really confused. I shut off my computer after my last post and just booted back up to check the forum again, now my hardware moniter is reading cpu temp 26C sys. temp 25C, and SpeedFan is giving me the same readings cept core 0,1,2,3 is reading 33ishC. Core Temp displays the same values. I can almost swear when my comp was running hot my Vcore voltage was in the 2's for some odd reason now its 1.14V, so now I can only assume a weird boot up and the higher voltage was making it run that hot? is that somewhat correct? Atleast I have extra thermal compound now! LOL. Can anyone shed some light on my situation? Should I do a Mem test?

Please do not double post Wizdumb, use the edit button.

If your vCore was at 2v earlier you would not have a functioning computer now so I highly doubt it was that. 1.14v sounds a little more reasonable. Higher voltages do make it hotter you're right. I'm assuming those are idle temperatures?

Well the directions that come with the Core Contact state to use a PEA SIZE amount of paste.

I wouldn't consider this a fix Wizdumb...clean up the cpu and heatsink completely of the old paste and re-do in the manner we suggested. After that, hopefully things will stop acting up. You should really stop using your computer until then. Even if sometimes you are getting your desired temperature, it is not worth the risk to leave your set up with an incredible amount of thermal compound...I mean, a whole tube...

Sorry about the double post it will not happen again, but yes those are my idle temps. James not to sound like a ******* but if you want to go back to the directions, says "Please apply twice amount that usual because of the unique base design." and the directions on a little packet from the thermal paste told me how much to squeeze and lay it on, if I was not instructed to do so I would not have done it. The tube was not THAT big, maybe half the size of the one I just bought, and the amount on the CPU was not THAT much...nothing spilled out over the sides or dripped anywhere. Im not getting desired temps "sometimes" Ive been getting more than desired temps all the time for the past several months except that 1 instance the other day, and it was for 2 hours? any second opinions?

So the directions on the TX-2 said to squeeze half the content of the tube?

I'm at my end. Do as you please :)

The directions DO say apply twice as much as usual, but the usual size is around a grain of rice sized.

And that tube is huge in thermal compound terms. It's a 3.5g tube. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you had no seepage over the side if you used the whole tube. No possible way.

I could see how you wouldn't SEE the seepage because the core contact is massive, but there's no way there was no seepage if you used the entire tube. It's impossible.

From now on, use something about the size of a grain of rice, or slightly bigger.

The trick is the get as thin a layer as possible without having gaps in the paste. The less paste there is the more heat transfer there is.

I put the freezer on the board before I put it in the case and I checked it out along the sides. Yeah the layer was pretty thin but I was supposed to make a gap or crevace in the middle to line up with the heat pipes on both sides. Since its still running at good temps, right now (CPU 25C & SYS 25C) ill leave it. When I have some free time the middle of next week I will re-do it and see how much of a diff it makes. Ill even post some pics for you so you can see it diddnt leak.

Hate to thread hijack here but when i was installing my true 120 it said to apply a rice sized grain on the heat sync and cpu and spread it thinly across. Is that accurate or are the instructions borked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom