Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Raid!

Click Here to Login
Thread: Raid!
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Harper
NEEDS MORE DAKKA!!!

Default Re: Raid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Alaska View Post
on qestion about it though. i heard of hardware raid and software raid. whats the difference with that? do you need both of them so set up a Raid config? thanks for the help.
Software RAID - It where you get windows to managed the raid for you. It normally means that have change your paritions from Basic to Dynamic. It works in theory, however there is a lot of assing around to when you want to recover one of these.

Firware RAID - It a PCI or PCI-E Card that managed the raid for you. However it's still using processing power from your CPU. Suitable for home or small office environments.

Motherboard RAID - Your onboard motherboard RAID Controllers. Personally I don't like them that much as you can not migrate them from computer to another computer (some thing that you can do with a RAID Card)

Hardware RAID - Again a PCI or PCI-E Card, however it has it's own CPU that managed the RAID. Suitable to medium to high end applications where there is a lot of data through put.

What sort of RAID did you set up? I am currently running a RAID1 via an Adaptec 1220SA RAID Card. Reason why I am doing this is because 1Tb of data is a lot to loose in one hit.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
HP zBook 14 - Intel Core i7 4600U (2.1 - 2.7 GHz), 16GB, 512GB SSD, 14" Display, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 8+Console : Play Station 4 Pro

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.