Anyone know anything about POWER6 IBM processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I've just learned about the POWER6 IBM duo core 4.7G processor. It seems super powerful, just what I would like.

But the IBM tech I talked to couldn't or wouldn't tell me where I could buy it. I've seen it quoted on the internet at @ $1000 but I haven't found any venders.

Does anyone know how to buy these? And are they super hot? I imagine it could cook eggs.

Thanks

He wants something for some students doing some research. I'm sure thay have/can get access to some suitable software but the hardware is the problem at the moment. I agree though this is not the way to go unless he gets a machine from IBM

I'm just checking it out. 4.7GHz is really something.

It does look like it is unobtainable. I chatted with an IBM tech and he seemed distinctly cold about the whole idea. But it would have made a cool workstation for graduate students.

Just a question, but my i7 920 is running at 4.45 ghz ... i realize you are looking for single core/dual core... but for the money... why not just get a 920 with some decent watercooling and let her rip?

Good question.

The students don't want to write their programs to run on parallel processors, I guess its some kind of pain to write them like that. So if I bought a quad core, the calculations would go through just one processor, leaving the other 3 sitting there. A complete waste.

So I can't use quad cores - which is a real damper. If I could use multiple quad cores, I could let truly let it rip - a 144G workstation!

With one core duo, it's not much use getting more than 16G of memory, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom