Maximum PC 800$ Gaming Computer help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balto

Solid State Member
Hello all! I've very new to the forums and I'm here because I'm having some trouble with my computer that I've built. I've pretty much followed the guidelines set forth by Maximum PC's 800$ Gaming build. Here's the link

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_a_*******_800_gaming_pc?page=0,0

The only thing different I did was snag a 1GB ATI HD 4000 Graphics card and for the RAM I've selected CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF.

My computer started having trouble as soon as I put it together. Random restarts and shut downs. Eventually after a couple of wipes and updated drivers it it stopped for 5-6 months. Now recently during normal operations the computer get VERY laggy. The mouse would BARELY move at all, and this would last 30-45 seconds before speeding up. This would also happen if I pluged in a USB drive and as soon as the computer would sense it it would begin to lock up and get laggy. And finally when I normally plug in my speakers into the intergrated sound jack a pop up would come up on the screen and let me know that I had sound. Recently by just the jack being in there the pop up would come up no matter what. Its not loose or anything. I'd just sit there and it would pop up and then the lag would come. And now finally- when I start the computer I hear the computers fans,HD,GPU start but nothing comes up on the screen. Then after about 15 seconds it shuts down and restarts just to do it again...

I don't know what it would be. I'm assuming the motherboard/CPU is degrading. If anyone has had this problem or know a soulution please let me know. Thanks in advance for all your help.

I don't think I want to use this motherboard anymore and I'd like help in finding a newer better one please. I don't know too much about them. I use my computer for gaming- I'd like to stick with intel and have open PCI slots for dual video cards eventually.

-Antec NeoPower 500
-Samsung SH-S223F DVD Burner
-MSI P45 Neo3
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz Wolfdale
-Antec Three Hundred
-1GB ATI HD 4000 Graphics card
-CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF.

Doesn't sound like a motherboard issue to me. If it's really slow it might be the RAM, or possibly the cpu was not seated properly? I'm just guessing quiet honestly.

Doesn't sound like a motherboard issue to me. If it's really slow it might be the RAM, or possibly the cpu was not seated properly? I'm just guessing quiet honestly.

Understood... But I haven't messed with the internals of the computer at all and it was fine 2 weeks ago. And those don't explain the sound jack issue. Thanks though :)

If you are in need of a cheap, bang for the buck replacement (if I understood the OP correctly)

Newegg.com - MSI P43 Neo3-F LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

That's the board I'd recommend, its the same as ur current board, but is a P43 as opposed to P45

Don't really care about the price- just that it would support the rest of my hardware w/o any problems. Having a large video card made the RAM a VERY tight squeeze. Didn't like that at all. Any other suggestions? Thanks alot!

With that many problems described yes it is very likely the motherboard is causing all the chaos.

Alright... How would I know if the CPU was still operational? Thanks for all the help.

Only way to test would be to try it in a different motherboard. Using something like CPU Stability Test or Prime95 won't work as it could be the motherboard causing the problems if the tests do fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom