Multiple Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to break it to you, but this will fail. For 1 simple reason. You wont have a OS that can run it.

There is not a single desktop OS that can run that many CPU's. Even Win7 right now can only handle 2 physical CPU's.

So you would need a Server OS right? Wrong.

Server OS's can only handle up to 8 physical CPU's.

So what does that leave? DataCenter Server OS. That is the ONLY OS out there that can handle that amount of CPU's. 1 Problem. You can not buy it AT ALL. You have to go through a special program to even be considered. Even if you are, Microsoft has to come inspect the machine to see if it qualifies.

From what i know, *NIX cant handle that many physical CPU's either.

Sorry but your wish is going to fail. Rigging it up aside, you will fail cause you wont have software that can run on it or run it.

Novell SuSE 11 Enterprise Server can handle 16 physical processors but I would highly doubt you know how to set that up properly and what would you really run on it anyway.

This is all excluding what everyone has said prior to this. Stick with one motherboard :). Still plenty of power to go around.

Thanks for that bit of info. I did not know that SuSE could do that. Now i know. And knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe! :D

Mak, does that still apply to clustered computers? The OS support I mean. I'm not going to do it, I just like to know things :).

If you are serious about doing this, then this is what you should do. Do not try to connect the motherboards together, do not try to reprogram them (quite what you meant by that I'm not sure anyway).
You should buy or build 15 seperate computers (1u with 2 CPUs each) this will give you 30 CPUs without having to use a soldering iron. Now that you have your hardware you can decide whether you are primarily running one task which will require all your CPU time or many individual tasks (maybe some of the tasks would be better off on one particular node which has access to a resource unavailable to other nodes). If it is the former then you should look into clustering and if it is the later you should look into some kind of centrally controlled, load balancing JCL/RMI type architecture (this is something I would like to do at some point and would potentially allow a huge amount of flexibility)

:confused: I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on hooking up multiple motherboards together I heard it is possible and wish to incorp. it into to a computer that I am custom building for myself. I am trying to build my very own (note: for lack of a better term) Super Computer. I already have away to power it and cool it just having trouble on getting multiple Motherboards to set aside their pride and work together. lol :D

Ummm...... No. No No No No No No No No No No No No.....
No.
Over the years, I have seem some really crazy things.
2 computers in the one case....
2 Master drives on an IDE Channel actually working.....
People using the adjoining PCI and ISA slot with cards....
People asking me for USB or PCMCIA video card excellerators....
AGPx2 meaning that there are 2 AGP slots on the motherboard....
PD9 Male to PD9 Female Gender Benders....
And my personal favorite..... People cutting their PCI-E Card so that it can fit into an AGP slot

But this one really takes the cake. (well, almost. That PCI-E Card still gets first prize in my books)

No. I see not practical sence in doing this.

One last thing.... NO.

IA32 and AMD64 servers, made by Cray and Unisys

They say these are basically a rack of interconnected motherboards. Kind of a cluster in a box.

So it looks like they've done it in factory. But I don't think they sell the hardware to do it.

1. I never said it was going to be easy. like I said before. 2 I know it isn't or doesn't seem practical. 3. I already knew from the moment I asked that I need a **** good OS and/or be able to write an OS myself to be able to run it. All I was really wanting to know is your thoughs or Idea on how to get the motherboards to coexist until I can get to reprograming them. and I'm not talking about guaranteed ideas just some off the top of your head of how I might go about it.
For example: You could try to make a multiconnect temporarily to be able to get into them so on and so forth.
I know this seems impossible treading on new ground with new ideas never gonna be easy. Thats why their is trial and error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom