Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizdumb

Baseband Member
This moarning when I turned on my comp I noticed my CPU is running twice as hot as it has for the past 2-3 months. Could this be a latent hardware moniter malfunction and its just deciding to work as of today? My cpu temps used to be 27-40 depending on the load now its at 53 idle.....im afraid to do any computing....any ideas?

Not really maybe 5 degree's F', it generally stays around 25'c because ive been keeping my AC on. I even have an ac vent aimed towards my rigs intake fan. I've always had a suspicion that my Biostar- Hardware moniter was innacurate, I just dont understand why it would not work correctly for so long and then one day decide to work properly. Im using a core contact freezer and its pretty big, so I think its my northbridge that was in the way or me putting it on for the best airflow. Im going to take it off and see if theres a better way for me to fit it on, or reverse my intake+exhaust fans. Does anyone know any good material on removing a CPU cooler?

You just need a screw driver to get the screws off and that's it. Twice the normal temp sounds very strange though so firstly, I would suggest trying different temperature monitor programs. A couple you can try are SpeedFan and CoreTemp, free and very easy to use/read.

If it still shows radical temps, You might want to clean the bottom of the Core Contact Freezer and top of the CPU and apply some new thermal paste. All you need is a screwdriver to take the cooler off. Did you get the Core Contact Freezer retail or did it come with the computer? I ask because retail it comes with excellent thermal compound.

Edit: You can also make sure that all the rest of the fans in the computer are working properly.

Just a screwdriver...Nice. I thought the thermal paste was kind of adhesive I wasnt sure If I had to rip or pry it off. I read I should use isoprophyl alcahol to wipe away the old thermal paste? is it necessary? if so what should I soak with alcahol to wipe it with? I got the contact freezer retail and all my fans are running as they should. I will try those programs you mentioned. Thanks for the help everyone! any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Nah that type of thermal paste is not an adhesive, it should come off as smoothly as it did when you put it on. If you have the thermal paste it came with, use that to replace it as it is some of the best stuff out there the TX-2. And yes, alcohol is the best way to do it, try using a coffee filter with it to wipe it off- works great. Try those temp programs first and post back...

Update, speedFan shows the same temps as my hardware moniter. For speedFan, is Temp1 the average temp of my 4 cores? I dont understand Temp2 shows -128C? is temp 2 a peice of hardware I probably dont have installed? Temp 3 is 28C, I dont think its my GPU because my CCC shows 37C. I did some searching and found no solid answer yet so ill keep on searching. I downloaded Core Temp 0.99.4 for reassurance and everything shows the same values. Thanks again!

What CPU do you have?

You might need to do some dusting while you're reseating your heat sink, especially if you have an A/C vent aimed towards your case I would be concerned about dust build up- but it's still strange because non the less you do have the A/C on it should still help to cool it significantly.

Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 45nm(Not Overclocked). And I used the whole tube of TX-2 the first time, I believe I was supposed to for the cooler and processor I have.(Sunbeam Core-Contact Freezer)

Ill be sure to grab another can of airduster when I grab more thermal paste, I live by tiger direct and I checked there site. I just dusted it out a few days ago and vacummed off my dust catcher on the intake, Im still amazed on how something can change so drastically overnight. Im begging to believe it was a software error. But on another note, thanks so much for your quick responses & assistance. I live close to a Tiger Direct, I checked there site and they only carry

-Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound

-OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Thermal Extreme Conductivity Compound

-Cooler Master Thermal Compound HTK002U1

Are any of these worth buying?

And I used the whole tube of TX-2 the first time, I believe I was supposed to for the cooler and processor I have.

Ok that is most likely the issue here. You should never have to use more than a pea size droplet of paste placed in the center of the CPU (none on the heat sink). When you place the heat sink on top of it, the pressure will spread the drop evenly on the CPU. Using too much compound can have an opposite effect...like we are seeing here. I am honestly surprised that you were able to use the entire tube.

You are lucky you didn't cause any serious damage to your system...that stuff could easily have leaked out and go down...I am actually surprised it didn't. Lesson learned and next time, use at the most a pea size. I use about a rice grain size myself in the center, works fine.

I am not familiar with those pastes you listed but hopefully someone will come along and recommend a good one from Tiger Direct since they don't carry TX-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom