New video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skormm

Baseband Member
Ok so I installed my new video card and PSU today... I used the drivers on the disc, and then a little later I went to ATI's website (the card is an HD4850) to get the most recent drivers, I install them and all **** breaks loose. The sound kind of skips out occasionally (I think my old card had someone to do with the sound also?) and after a few minutes of the computer being turned on, it slows to a crawl, I reboot, it's fine for a few minutes, does it again. So I uninstall the display driver and just put the one from the disk on, now it's not... wow, as I was saying it's fine now, it started messing up again. Is it a bad card or did I mess something up when I installed it?

I think I shorted out my computer when I installed the card because I already had to by a new network adapter because the old one just died when I installed the new card.

What brand/model of PSU did you install? It could be that it does not meet what are more-than-likely hefty requirements for that specific GPU. Read the specifications of the PSU very carefully, or post the PSU brand/model here so someone can verify that it meets the requirements for that GPU. The sound is not in any way tied to the GPU itself, however, if the GPU is 'hogging' all the available power supplied to your system, other components will suffer as a result, thus 'cutting out' your sound, etc.. Could also be that your network adapter didn't just 'die', there just wasn't enough power to initialize it. Inadequate power would be my first guess, and I will stand by that until it can be properly ruled out. Good luck.

What brand/model of PSU did you install? It could be that it does not meet what are more-than-likely hefty requirements for that specific GPU. Read the specifications of the PSU very carefully, or post the PSU brand/model here so someone can verify that it meets the requirements for that GPU. The sound is not in any way tied to the GPU itself, however, if the GPU is 'hogging' all the available power supplied to your system, other components will suffer as a result, thus 'cutting out' your sound, etc.. Could also be that your network adapter didn't just 'die', there just wasn't enough power to initialize it. Inadequate power would be my first guess, and I will stand by that until it can be properly ruled out. Good luck.

This PSU

Is above recommended wattage and amps are good too according to tom's hardware.

Okay, let me do some research on that and I'll get back to you.

I just reseated the card and hooked up a different 6-pin to it and checked some other connections, so I'll sit for a few minutes and see if it goes into crawl mode again.

Well the sound is still skipping around every couple seconds. I'm sure the crawl is on its way.

EDIT: The crawl has arrived.

That is just the single core HD4850 and not the HD4850 X2, correct? Do you happen to know the amperage requirements for that card, as they don't seem to be listed anywhere on the manufacturers website?

I see for that PSU, although it has two 12 volt rails, it is only supplying 18A on one specific rail at a time, this could be a problem, although I am no expert on the subject, as I am not an electrician. I know my 9800GTX+ requires at least 24A on the 12 volt rail. I'm not sure exactly how the PSU's with more than one rail work (i.e. whether one device will only pull from one rail at a time, or if the two rails will 'pool' together( Hopefully someone more qualified in the electrical workings of a PSU will reply to clear up the PSU issue. I do know that that PSU meets the wattage requirements of the card, if it is, in fact, not an X2.

Also, have you overclocked at all, and if so, have you monitored your temps while doing so? maybe check the temps and make sure it not your system overheating, then we'll go from there.

EDIT: Also, have you tried rolling back to the drivers you had installed before the problem arose?

I see for that PSU, although it has two 12 volt rails, it is only supplying 18A on one specific rail at a time, this could be a problem, although I am no expert on the subject, as I am not an electrician. I know my 9800GTX+ requires at least 24A on the 12 volt rail. I'm not sure exactly how the PSU's with more than one rail work (i.e. whether one device will only pull from one rail at a time, or if the two rails will 'pool' together( Hopefully someone more qualified in the electrical workings of a PSU will reply to clear up the PSU issue. I do know that that PSU meets the wattage requirements of the card, if it is, in fact, not an X2.

Also, have you overclocked at all, and if so, have you monitored your temps while doing so? maybe check the temps and make sure it not your system overheating, then we'll go from there.

EDIT: Also, have you tried rolling back to the drivers you had installed before the problem arose?

It started happening as soon as I installed the cars, same problem on 2 sets of drivers. The reviews I saw said that this card only requires 18A on the 12v rail. Bah.. shoulda gotten the Corsair I was looking at. Although I'm not completely sure it's the PSU to blame... I think I may have shorted out some things when I installed it, but if that was the case, would it even work ok for the first few minutes?

The card is only at about 40 degrees, and I've opened it up and felt the PSU, it's not hot at all, just warm (normal warm). No OC'ing.

EDIT 2: I think it may be the PSU, I just turned the clocks on the card down to minimum and the crawl lifted seconds later...

So, with this info, is it DEFINITELY the PSU? Or could it be the card has problems when you turn the clocks up?

Please do not double post you guys, use the edit buttons. Thank you.

And you add the amperage together on multi-rail PSU's. So on his, it has 2x18A 12v rails. So therefore his total amperage is 36A on that PSU on the 12v rails.

The edit buttons are not available after 24 hours, so if nobody checks the post before then, then you can bump your topic.

Besides, you made like 3 posts within around 6 minutes of each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom