getting back into gaming... help me upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinaibur

Baseband Member
I built this system on Christmas break 2007. I had the intentions of doing a lot of gaming but never got back into it the way I planned. It has been doing nothing but playing blurays for my 50" plasma the past year or so. Long story short, I have started gaming again and need some advice to get my system back up to speed.

Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Q6600 GO Stepping
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 1GBx2
XFX 7900GTX (taken from previous computer)
Corsair 550VX PSU
Tuniq Tower-120 HSF
Seagate Barracuda 320GB
Antec 900

I know i need to replace the GPU but I don't know with what. I want something that is way better but I don't need the absolute latest and greatest.

Something like an HD4870 or a GTX260 would probably be ideal for you.

I agree on either the 4870 1gig or the GTX 260.

RAM would be a nice upgrade as well, and it's much cheaper now than it was in 2007.

I don't really want to spend that much on a GPU. I don't have a set budget. I can spend as much as I want but I'm not going to buy the most expensive stuff I can find. I think a GPU under $200 is perfectly reasonable.

I would like to game at the highest resolution I can. I am also thinking about upgrading my LCD. What is a descent gaming LCD for not too much money? I don't want to spend that much on an LCD because I just bought a 50" tv.

What RAM would be a good upgrade from my Crucial Ballistix? I'm still running XP so I know that I can only use what like 3.5 GB?

i already have three copies of windows 7 on pre-order

i found some RAM on tigerdirect.com for cheap.

Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 2GBx2 - $54.99

Should I add this to my system or replace the 2x1GB I already have with it?

It'll become 3.0GB if you throw in a 1GB Video card though ;)

For your budget and your 1080p resolution, I'd recommend an HD 4870 1GB (and maybe save up for Windows 7 64bit) or HD 4890

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom