Power Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirkpitt45

Daemon Poster
My parts arrived today and everything is going pretty good. Except they sent the wrong heat-sink so that didn't fit on, put the stock one on for now.

Pretty sure I've got everything connected properly but I've run into some conflicting directions. My mother board's manual says that I have to connect the 24 pin and 4 pin power cords before turning it on. But the power supply instructions say its one or the other, cause it only came with one 20+4 pin connector.

Also is it fine if I use a pci-e 6 pin connector from the power supply instead of the 4 pin to 6 pin adapter from the mobo 4 pin that my 4850 came with? Direct from the psu just allows be to not have a couple wires running over top of the mobo. Just for looks mostly either way is fine with me.

Thanks
Ryan

what psu do you have? It should have a 24 (20+4) and an additional 12v 4pin as well.

PSU_connectors_ATX12V.jpg

oh yeah you have one. It is actually a 4+4 12volt plug that can be used as a 4 or 8 pin plug.

txcables2-8.jpg

It is the one highest up. I know I have the same psu.

Oh ok thats why I never noticed it. Sort of low light and its hard to see the seems :p. Thanks for the help.

Edit: And what about the gpu power? Does it matter where it gets it from, the motherboard or the psu?

Yep just one of your 6 pin connectors for that card.

It needs the 6pin from your psu to work. Your psu has four 6+2 pin pci-e plugs shown in the pic above.

Ok just making sure :p Sorry if these are noob questions, just don't want to screw anything up. After I twist tie some of those extra cords I think I'll be ready to test and see if it'll turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom