Hard Disk Resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello all, this is my first post so I will try to give as much information as possible regarding my problem.

I just upgraded my present PC with a new mobo + cpu. I upgraded without a hitch.

I took the old mobo AbitTH7 II + CPU 2.1ghz along with it's 512MB Ram, TDK CDRW, 64MB Ti200 Geforce Card and a Nic card and put it into the old case. This case has a 240watt PS, the previous PS was 500 watts. The 240watt PS is a heavy and high quality PS.
After connecting all of the equipment and turning on the power the hard disk is resetting every second. This hard disk was taken from my old PIII600, I just wanted to boot to a Windows XP disk and do a format/fresh install. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking the power supply may be too low. Another thing, the motherboard has a port for primary power and auxillary power direct from the power supply. My current power supply only has the typical power attachment. The previous 500 watt PS has two plugs to attach to the motherboard, primary and auxillary. Do I NEED a power supply that has both for this motherboard? I can't find any information and can't seem to figure out what's wrong. Everything appears to be corrected correctly, I can't even get to a BIOS screen the hard disk keeps resetting over and over. The motherboard, video card, ram, and CPU all work. I just took took them out of a working PC. Any help would be great.

Also, not to sound like a total newb, but on the back of the old Power Supply is a red switch with two settings 230 and 115. It is set to 115. Is this the voltage switch for other countries? I assume so, and that I should keep it at 115.

AMD mobo require only 1 20-pin Power Supply, so wires are OK.

240W might not be able to support your system. check ur new installtion with the old PSU (the 500W one)

if your cpu is a p4 than i think u need to connect the auxillary power.. and your current psu doesnt have that...

if that's not the case then im sure that your psu is too low... id go with a 350W with ur settings.. just to be sure

I ordered a 400watt PS to be safe. This is the only MB I have seen that has two power attachments. (I'm sure there are many more) Maybe I'll try with the 500watt supply and see what happens. I also haven't cleared the CMOS.

P-4 comes with twin PSU requirements, one for Board and components, and other (4-pin) for the Processor only, your PSU might be too old for catering needs for P-4 mobo. 350W will be good enough to support system + components, but as well depends on what quality of PSU u r using, like in my case, i'm on 350W, but a high-quality PSU.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try testing my 500watt PSU in the system and see if it will boot up, if not, I'll post back and see if anyone has any other ideas.

Well, Blind Arrow you were correct, the old PSU does not have the attachment needed 4-pin to power the processor. After attaching that the hard disk stopped resetting, but I can't seem to get any video. I tried three different video cards without any success. I'll have to read up on it.

Hmmm, I am stumped again with this video problem. Now I have the system setup IDENTICAL to what it was before minus a new hard disk. I'm not getting ANY video signal at all even trying three different vid cards. I did not hook up floppy or a CD-Rom.

I'm running a Abit TH7 MB + 2.1ghz with a 500Watt PS, 64MB Geforce Ti200, 512MB Ram. As I mentioned, the only new component added is a hard disk I took out of my P3-600 which was working fine. I'd think I'd at least see a BIOS Screen. If I don't get any ideas I'll play around with it some more or make a new post about video, thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom