Can this PSU handle a 4850?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skormm

Baseband Member
Ok so on some advice I received here I decided to order a PSU and GFX card, I just looked at them again and I noticed the PSU only has 18A rails. Is that going to be able to run a 4850? No OC'ing. It's a 500W PSU.

What brand? and are you sure there's not 2 18A rails? i.e. 12v1 and 12v2

This PSU

It does have 2 12v rails each at 18A, excuse my ignorance, PSU's are an area I have very little experience with, but why do you ask? Can they share the amps if one isn't in use?

I ask, as the card requires a certain mount of Amps to run, and yes they can be sorta combined, but as the psu is called.... its a basic low end psu.

Notably, the card needs 2 6-pin, and you only get one on that psu.

One thing to remeber is tha the psu is your computers heart, if it goes bad it could destroy alot of your other parts.

The Volts of the one you choose, is good size, and the amps were okay, could be better though.

If you can swing it, we love
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

But i'm not good with this stuff either

I ask, as the card requires a certain mount of Amps to run, and yes they can be sorta combined, but as the psu is called.... its a basic low end psu.

One thing to remeber is tha the psu is your computers heart, if it goes bad it could destroy alot of your other parts.

The Volts of the one you choose, is good size, and the amps were okay, could be better though.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

The card I bought only takes 1 6-Pin, if it takes 2 I'm **** outta luck because the card only has one place to plug in a 6-Pin lol.

EDIT: This is the PSU I was originally going to go with, but someone recommended the Antec because it was cheaper and said it should have enough power for what I need. (It was a mod so I took his word). If it turns out to be an issue I will just send it back and get this instead.

This PSU

Also another reason I didn't get a 550 was because it won't fit in my case.

Doh, i clicked a 4870 at newegg. Okay... Then yha it'll run it, but the rest holds true still.

Plus you've got more upgrade room

Yea, I'm on a bit of a budget atm or I would have just built a whole new one from the ground up with a 4870 X2 in it and a 1000w PSU just so I'd never have to worry about PSU problems again.

The best thing about Corsairs are they are very good. I'd, and so would alot of others, go Corsair before most other brands.

I ran my system on a 520hx till my Silverstone came.

I'd be incline to say the 450vx should beable to run it. But again, I'm not super good with these, so i'ds get confirmation on if it'll run everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom