Motherboard - IDE/SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

danman44

Beta member
Hello,

My motherboard is IDE though has an additional 2 SATA connectors.
A couple of things :
1) Am I able to run both IDE & SATA interface drives (eg. HDD & DVD) from my motherboard. If so what do I need to do. I wish to run a HHD, DVD rom & DVD burner.
2) If I am unable to do that then how do I connect my HDD, DVD-Rom & DVD Burner to my motherboard when it only has room for 2 devicies.
I currently have everything connencted via IDE interface. I have a SATA HDD of which I have used an adapator to convert to IDE. I also have a IDE DVD rom & IDE DVD burner. I wish to upgrade my burner & it is so differicult to find an IDE DVD burner is Australia, so I think it maybe better to just purchase an SATA interface burner & just an adapotor, the same way that I have connected my HDD.
Thank you

CPU : AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (1533Mhz)
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-7VT600P-RZ(C) (Id : 10/01/2004-KT600-8237-6A6LYG02C-00)
DVD ROM : Samsung SH-D162D
DVD Burner : LG GH22NP20

If I need to provide further information about my computer, please let me know

Thanks again

Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 8.0

Connect your SATA hard drive to one of the SATA controllers, then chain your two DVD-ROMS onto the IDE controller, then, if you have to get a SATA DVD, just connect it to the other SATA controller on the motherboard. Check your BIOS, in case any of the controllers are disabled by default, as the old IDE controllers might be. Good luck.

Not sure why you would be converting a SATA connection to an IDE unless you didn't have enough room.
1)You can run both and you do not need anything special. You will be able to have a maximum of 4 devices (2 IDE devices on one chain and 2 devices on SATA). The only special thing you may need to do is enable the IDE / SATA controllers in the BIOS as Mundo said.
2)Why in the world are you purchasing IDE adapters to convert these SATA connections to IDE? You said you have only one SATA device so you should purchase a SATA DVD drive and use that other SATA connection.

Ideally you would only use your SATA connections as they are faster than IDE. If you have old drives and or run out of SATA connections those are the only scenarios in which you should be using IDE.

Thanks guys, could you please tell me where in BIOS I can make the change. I just had a look & couldn't find it
Thanks again

Thanks guys, could you please tell me where in BIOS I can make the change. I just had a look & couldn't find it
Thanks again

As every BIOS is different, that is next to impossible for us to tell you. I suggest referring to the documentation that came with your computer/motherboard. If you have somehow lost or misplaced this documentation, you should be able to download it from the manufacturer's website...good luck.

Mundo is right. It is hard for us to tell you exactly as each BIOS is unique. But you should see it under either the Drive or SATA heading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom