First build help

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really wanted the option for crosfire i would probably get a 750tx, i have no doubt that your 650tx would run them fine, but depending on how many other components, fans, etc it can get close to the max wattage, its usually better to have a some headroom. With that in mind, if you know you are no going to get alot of that stuff you will be fine, i run a i7 overclock at 3.2GHz, asus p6t, 6gb ram, gtx 285, x-fi fata1ty off a 550w seasonic pretty easily.

As for the cards, 40 euro is not really worth the upgrade, sapphire is a great brand also, its just that XFX has great tech support and a great warranty, if the price difference is a lot go with the sapphire. The 4890 is a good 5-10% better and has nice overclocking capabilities so if you can get one for about 20 euro or less extra then it would be a good buy. If your playing at high resolutions then the extra 512mb would be worth it.

oh, i wasn't comparing witht sapphire prices there, just wondering about them as a brand. I was looking at either an XFX 8970 512mb or an XFX 8790 1gb for £40 more.

Cheers for the PSU advice. At first there'll just be 1GPU, no sound card or anything extra, but i'm looking to add a TV card, Sound Card and eventually a second GPU over time, so for those I may need more juice. If i go for 750w that'll hopefully suffice for all my needs.

Thanks for the help everyone!

As for the cards, 40 euro is not really worth the upgrade

I think you mean GBP. :p

750w would be your best bet if you want to crossfire 4890s. I don't think the upgrade from the 4870 is worth it for the 40 quid, but it's a personal preference.

Well at the rate they're dropping in price, hopefully in a month's time they'll be closer the 8970's 100quid, in which case, I think it'd be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom