Building New System..HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atament

Beta member
Hey guys and gals...I'm new to the forums here but have been on them here and there looking up advice, and most of the posters seem very knowledgeable and friendly so I decided to register and make a post of my own.

I'm looking to build a computer (not sure whether to build it myself or to customize one somewhere online, however..) roughly in the $1000-$1500 range. Obviously as always, the cheaper the better. Funds are very tight right now and probably can't even afford that but this isn't going to be a right-away-project. Looking around, it seems as i7 is the way to go. I'll be using the PC for a lot of gaming, as well as video editing/animation/modeling as I'm a student in that field as well. I do want to have a bit of "future proof" in mind.

I'm not as up to date on technology right now as I used to be, and ANY recommended builds would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Yes in that price range i7 would be the way to go.

Do you also need monitor, keyboard and mouse in this budget?
Do you have any parts from old builds that can be used in this one? ie hard drive, cd drives etc.?

Although no one can argue the performance of the i7's, you may get more bang for your buck in the field of gaming by going with AMD. You can get a nice quad core cpu for hundred(s) less than the i7's and spend the money saved on better video card(s). i7's will outperform in the video editing/modelling, but in some cases not by a huge margin. Check out some benchmark reviews/comparisons, you may find specific numbers regarding programs you run.

If I wasn't a college student/broke musician, I'd build an i7 rig.

Instead, I must advocate for AMD.

I can even take this a step further for you. This is basically the same rig I built, although my case is the 1200 and my PSU is 1000watt, and I have 8gigs ram. But with the money you save, maybe you can get more ram, an extra video card, or who knows? Not including monitor/keyboard/mouse/peripherals...

Antec 300 case
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100269SR Radeon HD 4890 1GB video card
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W power supply
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 RAM
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz processor

Altogether on Newegg comes to 800 dollars before shipping. Throw in a nice 1080p monitor and maybe a new keyboard and mouse and you're still around $1000.

I think a 285 would be a better idea than a 4890 in your build, Thrilly; he has the money, so he may as well get a great card (since he games a lot). Otherwise sounds good.

Thank you for the quick responses!

I do not really have many parts, but a mouse, monitor, and keyboard are NOT required in this budget. I have a very nice keyboard and mouse, and the only thing I would upgrade is the monitor, but that really is the last thing I would look for. I'd definatly like to make sure the build is as good as I can get first, then worry about a monitor afterward if need be.

Even though I will be doing a lot of gaming, would it really be worth it to go with a non-i7? I WILL be video editing, modeling, 3d rendering, etc for school as well. It seems that most places I go, it comes to 50/50. Some would say go i7 and others say a nice quad-core, Q9550 or something would be it. I don't really know much on AMD, but from what I've seen the processor you chose is pretty solid as well.

it would defenitly be worth it to get an i7 build. if you can afford it, which you can, the i7 will "future proof" you for sometime. amd is more for a budget build of around ~$800.

it depends whether you wanna build your own or get a pre-built one. building your own will get you alot more bang for your buck and you know everything that goes in your pc.

you could get something like this: total is $1,272 + $10 shipping (-$45 MIR's)

cpu/mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

hdd/ram: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

gpu/ram #2: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

case/psu: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

cd/dvd: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

- i included a second kit of ram because you mentioned that you were gonna be working on video editing and animation, so more ram might help you out there. if you dont think you'll need that much ram, you can take it out and save a good $100 and go with just 6gigs. then you can add more later if you think you need to.

with that current list, you'd have ~$220 for a monitor or you could just save it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom