New to overclocking, and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesx4911

In Runtime
I have stayed away from overclocking in fear that it would ruin my machine, but I have come to realize it is safe if you know what your doing lol and you dont go crazy. I would like to overclock my machine. I have no clue what Im looking for haha. These are the specs on my machine

Motherboard
Manufacturer
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name
M3A78-EM
Version
Rev X.0x

BIOS
Vendor
American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version
BIOS Release Date
02/11/2009
BIOS ROM Size
1024 KBytes

CPU
Socket Designation
AM2
Manufacturer
AMD
Version
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
Supported Voltage
1.5 v
External Clock
200 MHz
Max Speed
3200 MHz
Current Speed
3000 MHz

Memory
Socket Designation
DIMM0
Current Speed
800 MHz
Memory Type
DDR2
Installed Size
2048 MBytes

Socket Designation
DIMM1
Current Speed
800 MHz
Memory Type
DDR2
Installed Size
2048 MBytes

So please inform me what I need to do next. Sorry if this is a repost, I looked through the forum but didnt see to much on how to overclock.

oh almost forgot. HAPPY 4th OF JULY !!!!!!!

I doubt you'll be able to OC very much, your motherboard isn't exactly designed for it, but we'll see - go into your BIOS and see what overclocking options you have.

Do you have the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler? I suspect the former, in which case that would also be a limiting factor as heat will quickly become a problem.

I doubt you'll be able to OC very much, your motherboard isn't exactly designed for it

What are you talking about? It's an ASUS with a 780G chipset. They have a decent set of overclocking options. Not as many as the 790 chipsets, but they still work pretty well for his purposes.

What are you talking about? It's an ASUS with a 780G chipset. They have a decent set of overclocking options. Not as many as the 790 chipsets, but they still work pretty well for his purposes.

+1

But since its a 6000+ I don't think he'll have much headroom, especially if its the Windsor one and even it is the Brisbane one (which is at 3.1ghz stock which this one isn't, still because they cap out around 3.2)

just up your FSB little by little until it blue screens.. then dial it back down a couple or up your voltage.. whichever your looking for.. ex; 210, reboot, 215, reboot, 220 reboot... I don't think you'll be able to go much faster than 230 without touching the Vcore.. and with a Vcore step, Only go about .125v or .250v at a time. Don't go over 1.475v. Your info says Voltage supported is 1.5v, but I'd stay away from 1.475 and higher, if you get to that point.

Are you out for benchmark clocks, or just to make it a little faster? What cooling system are you running?

lol.. that made me laugh.. I'm running a similar board.. Not like it's uncommon or anything..

Good board, bad BIOS.. hahahaha!

^ Than all you really have to do is just bump your FSB up little by little until it's unstable, then go back and dial it back down.. start @ 210, then 215, 220, 225.. etc.. but it probably won't go higher than 230.. BUt that stuff is in my above post, again...

That's it! Lower clocks are SOO easy to do! :D You'll find that..

Read up in here a little for an some ideas..
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/official-amd-overclocking-thread-162493/

ok kool! I got it a little faster it said 3.0 Ghz in system b4 now its 3.38 Ghz And the cpu temp is just barely a little higher than it was before.

load temps or idle? idle doesn't change much as you overclock, but load can change drastically... run some stress tests on it, make sure the temps don't get out of hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom