Graphics card Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to make a card similar to that now, cards are coming out two quickly with less performance gain. I suppose card are also coming out with better price points aswell.

I think what he meant is, when it came out did it have a similar impact.

To answer the question, the 9800 was the fastest card you could get at the time. Multicard setups didn't exist then and we were all on AGP. That, with a 2.4ghz Athlon XP and 1gig of ram was a dream machine. The 9800pro was the best of the best. Nidia's competing cards, the FX5xxx cards were crap. They used dual slot coolers, cost more and the FX5800ultra was famously noisy. The Radeon 9 series also shares something with ATIs current cards, uber AA performance. Before then AA and AF were features that you could really only enable by sacrificing other graphics aspects, with the 9800 you could turn them on with no performance penalty. It was so good at it and the Nvidia cards so bad at it that in some games the 9800 was literally twice as fast as the competition. You don't see those kind of numbers anymore.

I still have my 9800 Pro, installed it in a computer I assembled for my kids (a Barton 2500).... I think I also have my first GeForce (the first series ever) lying somewhere.

Don't forget the X1950XTX. That was the fastest card out at the time by a significant margin....not to mention that the X1950pro/x1900gt was awesome bang/buck.

During that gen I had a 7900GT superclocked that I overclocked quite a bit...obviously not as good as a x1900xt/x1950 it still was a pretty good card.

Don't forget the X1950XTX. That was the fastest card out at the time by a significant margin....not to mention that the X1950pro/x1900gt was awesome bang/buck.

During that gen I had a 7900GT superclocked that I overclocked quite a bit...obviously not as good as a x1900xt/x1950 it still was a pretty good card.

Yeah sorry man, your right it was fast too. I dunno why, but I don't remember as many people owning the x1900 as they did 7800s and 7900s. At the time I had a 7900GS. And for some reason I remember a lot of 7800GTs and the like. My memory may be wrong on this. The x1900 was a strong card for sure though.

anyone notice on anandtechs benchmarks the GTX 275 often beats the GTX 280 by a little. I just found this pretty odd considering their numbering schemes. Maybe they should have called the GTX 275 a GTX 279 instead.

I hear the GTX 280 has much more overclocking potential though which pushes it out further ahead.

I actually bought a second hand 9800 XT, just because it's a classic card.

Anyway, one of the best things about the 7900 GT was its overclockability.
I got mine to 750MHZ by voltmodding it.
The 7800 GTX and 7900 GTX weren't exactly good value.

I remember when the 7800 GTX 512MB card came out. It was basically only made so that Nvidia could take the lead against the X1900 XTX. And I think they did; However it was way too expensive really.

the 7800GTX wasn't meant to compete with the x1900xtx, I think you meant the 7900GTX. Also although the x1900xtx and 7900GTX were pretty close, if I remember correctly the X1900XTX was regarded as the better card overall, especially when both were clocked to their limits seeing as how the X1900 had software voltage control and could get insane clocks.

I wish I'd have stumbled across this a few months ago when I was upgrading. Although I am very happy with my 9800GTX+, this would have saved me a lot of guesswork and/or researching in coming to that choice. Good job to the Op.

Actually Sora isn't even here anymore... that list was edited a number of times by the moderators here :) (every post here is locked for editing by non-mods after 24 hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom