Credit Card'd my CPU paste.. Running hotter!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
WTH?? I've been having problems getting 3.8g to boot, so I figured I'd re-do myt CPU paste. I dropped the clock down to 3.6g again, and I'm running Prime and it's sitting @ 55*c loaded at not even 10 min into the test..

I put a fine film of paste on the CPU, just enough to color it.. I also put two small dabs on my DTek Fusion heatsink to fill inn 3 small dents (NO IDEA how they got there! They're in the center). and I smoothed that off with the card as well..

There was a good deal of paste on there before so I cleaned it up.. I guess I shouldn't have messed with it..

Ideas?? The VCore is only @ 1.475.. I don't see why it would get that hot.. It spiked when I first started Prime, then it cooled back down to 48*, now it's back up to 55*... So it seems like it's transferring better... Maybe..

--EDIT--
Woops., Just got a BSOD..

How much paste are you using? Not sure what a fine film means :p anyways, using too much can have a negative effect.

Instead of using a credit card, try using alcohol and, if you have it, a coffee filter to clean off the paste from the chip and hs. Then re-apply with a rice grain size amount of paste. That's strange about the dents...

I used a small dot and smoothed it until it covered the CPU.. I reapplied a SMALL dab to areas that needed coverage.

I mean, I just used enough to color the top of the CPU.. and I know all to well about using too much, I've seen people goop it on to where it runs off the side of the CPU and onto the socket.. LOL! I've done that in my earlier days (before joining here.. haha ..I love this board.. :D )

It's idling at 34* now... waiting for it to cool down all the way.. And amazingly enough, Aspire was right (of course).. The CPU was reading 55* thru HW Monitor, and the GPU (Same loop) was only reading 36*! :D I can't believe that liquid cooled down that quick by the time it hit the GPU..

Sorry I mis understood what you were trying to say in your last post :p but try and clean the hs and chip off with alcohol, maybe it's not as clean as you think it is when you re-applied the paste? I don't know, those are my two pennies.

Edit: About those dents, that is strange...

^ I used running alcohol and a soft cloth when I cleaned it.. I think I'd have enough paste left to do it one more time.. I played COD W@W for like 3 hrs earlier and it was fine.. I didn't notice the temps too much, I think it was around 48*c.

I've never spread mine out like you do. I just put a rice sized blob on it and let the heatsink spread it out and I've never had a problem.

silly question, but you did let the alcohol dry up completely ;) before slapping the new paste up there right?

I've never spread mine out like you do. I just put a rice sized blob on it and let the heatsink spread it out and I've never had a problem.
and i agree with that, thats what i do.

^ I'm afraid of letting the Heatsink spread it out.. The liquid tubes kind of push my waterblock off to the lower right when I first slide it over the screws, until I can get a spring, limiter, washer and nut on the top left. It's a two handed deal, and I can't let go of it until I get a couple nuts on. I'm afraid of it pushing it to the upper right. I smeared it on with my finger last time, just enough to color the top of the CPU..

And I didn't use much alcohol, just some on a rag, then wiped it a couple more times with the dry side. and I had to walk across the house to get my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom