Why is the beeper on my mobo going off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
The sound beeper on my mobo is beeping like there is not tomorrow, and I don't know why. I am running an anti virus scan and surfing the web but the cpu usage is only 57% and the ram is only 1.2 gb out of 2gb, so there is still plenty of resource left so why is it beeping like this>

Usually beeping of any kind from the hardware is a sign of a hardware failure or problem so you're fairly lucky your PC works at all. The first thing to confirm is that it is coming from the motherboard and not from somewhere else such as the graphics card or drive controller if you have them.

How can I figure out which one its comming from? And what should i do when I find out which one it is. It only seems to beep when there seems to be a greater load on the pc.

Almost sounds like a temperature alarm...do you have some sort of temp monitor program installed? If not, grab CoreTemp.

Also, what kind of computer is this? Did you build it yourself?

I have set the alarm on my mobo to go off at about 60c so do you think that is what is causing it, and I will install the software.

As for the pc it is a cheap e system that I bought from pc world a couple of years ago, it come with a celeron 1.6 or something like that with .5 gb of ram. I have put 2gb of ram in it and I have stuck a 2.2 ghz cpu in it.

EDIT: I thought the alarm would show me a sign or something on the screen.

Also what temps should my cpu be safelyoperating in?

That's probably your problem then. High stress situations gave it away...things heat up then. Install coretemp and give us a screenshot when the PC is beeping.

Here is a screen dump before the beeping starts:

23kssp1.jpg

here it is with the beeping:

2m29a3t.jpg

sorry for the delay my internet connection is playing up

Wow, your CPU is going into the 70C range...something is seriously wrong. I would start by opening up your case and blowing it out with compressed air, make sure all the dust is cleaned out. Make sure to blow out the heatsink and the CPU fan thoroughly. Also, make sure they are all running. Open the case up before you turn off the computer to double check.

After you clean it out good, check your temps again. We'll go from there.

The thing is though it is actually quite warm in the room where the pc is and the fan in a new one so it isn't dirty. One of the connecting legs is broke so is not sticking the cpu to the fan properly but all the others are fine do you think this could be a problem.

So either jump on the 86 an get to PC world shut or jump on the 60 an go to aabyss on wavertree highstreet and get a new cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom