New System...Old HDD...Big Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingface81

Beta member
I just put together a new system. New MB, Processor and Video card and attempted to use my old HDD already loaded with XP from my old system. It worked in the past so i figured it would again.

I have 2 internal HDD. When i go to my BIOS it sees them both but the odd thing is, when i go to boot with the HDD loaded with windows it says its not bootable. If i try to boot with the HDD "not" loaded with windows it shows me the XP loading screen for 2 seconds, flashes the blue screen and restarts.

With Windows7 not to far away i dont really want to buy Vista, nor do i like Vista. Is that what i need to do, is that whats causing this issue? Am i asking my old OS to do to much recgonizing new hardware?

No luck with safe mode either.

Hopefully you dont need my new computer specs, im at work and dont remember the MB just know im going from an old P4 3.6Ghz/ASUS MB/ATI X800 pro older system to if im correct a M4 ASUS MB/AMD Phenom 2 3.0 quad core/ASUS/Nvidia chipset "Dark Knight" 1GB video card.

ANY responses would be greatly appreciated..Thank you!

Are you sure the 1st hard drive (the one with windows loaded) is set to primary boot in your bios and you don't have them mixed up?

When you have a new system and you put in an old hard drive with an old windows installation from a different computer, you will definitely run into problems with it recognizing hardware at some point because of previously loaded drivers etc. I always use a freshly formatted drive when installing windows on a new computer, that way you have a clean slate to work with.

If you do want Win7 when it comes out but need an OS right now, I would suggest using the Windows 7 RC until then. It is a free to try beta version of the upcoming OS, but many of the members here including myself use it day to day and it works great. It lasts until 2010.

My old system was from5 years ago so i dont have the HDD mixed up. The system HDD i use is only a 34GB WD Raptor. So im 110% positive thats the one loaded with windows.

Do you think that the OS is the problem? I just want to make sure thats it before i go and blow the HDD out and have the same issue even after that.

Im thinking the extreme change in chipsets going from intel to AMD is the issue, going to try and reinstall windows

Just a quick question to add since its almost the same topic and I don't want to start a new thread.

The hard drive I'm using now is the boot drive for this computer. For my new one as long as I use another hard drive to boot up could I use this one just for data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom