i7 Custom build....need help with power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant7701

Solid State Member
Ok so I just picked up the i7 920 at a great price so it looks like Im building myself a new PC. My last build was 5 years ago so I could use some advice.

I really have my eye on the Apevia Q-Pack2 case shown here
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-QPACK2-BL/500 Black/ Blue Aluminum Body/ Front Mask MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases

I am most likely going to go with an Asus board and 6-8 gigs of Ram. A DVD drive and 2 internal Sata drives. My question is......is this power supply good enough? From what I remember 500 watts years back was great....now I see 900s for sale. Im not really a gamer....mostly music, itunes, videos, but I would like to have to option to game in the future.....nothing intense thou.

also anyone with info on this case would be great too.....thanks...........Anthony

You do realize that case is for mATX motherboards only, right? Uhm k. Just saying that.

And I'm not to sure. As long as you stick to a lowish end card 500 should be enough. But it'd be best to go with a good name brand PSU anyway it goes.

what motherboard are you going to be using? (just curious)

Never use the PSU that comes with a case.

Unless you know it's a good brand and model.

I had a crappy enermax that came with my old case and it went up in smoke (literally)

When your dropping 1000+ on a pc it never hurts to drop an extra 50 for a good PSU.

That board won't fit in the case. As I just posted you will need a mATX board.

I'm sure any of these boards would be good(I wouldn't really go with the MSI board though..seems a bit cheap):

Newegg.com - MSI X58M LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - ASUS Rampage II GENE LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

OHHHH I just looked for the evga micro board link :

EVGA | Products

$200 and it's a beauty...it'd be a great board :]

I posted that deal b/c if he does decide to buy a better PSU he can go with a case that doesn't have a PSU and can hold an ATX mobo.

Also that EVGA mATX does look nice.

ya I know about the mATX....but whats the problem with that? I dont plan on running multiple video cards or anything. I like that Asus rampage board but now that I think of it....if Im gonna have to upgrade the PSU Im most likely gonna go with a different case. what size PSU should I be looking at?

I'd say a 750w would be more than enough if you aren't doing crossfire or SLI; but thats just what I know from reading, not experience unfortunately :(.

750w is pretty much a sweet point.

Good for the money, can handle SLI/xfire easily (with some low end cards i'm sure it can do 3 way sli/xfire), good future proofing...etx

but if you don't plan on getting more than 1 card, no plans on over clocking, not to many extra things you might be able to squeeze by with a good grand (corsair, pcpnc) 500-600watt.

Its prob better to stick to a ATX board anyway, usually better for desktop computers. this would be a nice board, along with a 4870 or gtx260 would be nice choices.
Newegg.com - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-YHFC Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

theres also a great deal on the Antec 300 case with antec psu's, check out the EA650w and 500w, those are great power supplies made by seasonic, if you dont mind the antec 300 case then they are a great buy. Otherwise go for a Corsair 650tx and case of choice.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom