HDD won't reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

overlord20

Fully Optimized
When I try to format I get a message saying

"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

1. I took everything off the drive so there should not be a problem.
2. This drive is not running as far as I know.

3. How can I tell if it is running in the background? I don't know why it would there is nothing on it.

When I go through disk management it says...

"The volume My Passport (f:) Primary partition is currently in use. To force the format of this volume, click Yes. WARNING: Forcing a format might cause unexpected errors in the application that is using this volume. Do you want to continue?"

So what is this? Is it okay to click yes?

Attachments

• Format Issue.jpg
    Format Issue.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 62
Have the done the 'safe removal' process? The drive might still be mounted. Or go to my computer and Eject it if it gives you the choice.

If there is nothing on the drive you wish to keep, click yes. It sounds like there's some piece of rogue software running in the backround. No reason clicking yes will be detrimental. Physically the drive will stay fine.

Chances are that there is something "windows" related being used off that disk. Do you have the swap file on that drive?

HAve you changed folder options to "view hidden files and folders"?

If you installed any software that came with the passport, un-install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom