Upgrading GFX/PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skormm

Baseband Member
Ok, so I'm trying to upgrade my desktop which is just a cheap Dell Inspiron 518. I bought pretty much bare-bone stuff, only thing I got with it that I actually intended to keep was the RAM. Right now I am in the process of replacing my video card, which means I need to upgrade my dinky little PSU.

I am looking at the nVidia 9800gt, which is recommended 400w+ PSU with 1 6xPin. I was looking at the Corsair VX450W because higher wattage PSU's are too big for my case. Now I was hoping someone who has first hand experience with this case could tell me if this PSU will fit, I have done some measurements and it seems to be ok and will be a nice fit. I think I'm mostly looking for some comforting and confirmation.

where are you planning on buying these parts from?

have you used Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! ? thats pretty much the place where you will find the cheapest parts at.

a 9800gt goes for $99+ at newegg, but for that same amount you could get

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

that 4850 handily outperforms the 9800gt.

and you could get this psu

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

it will fit fine in your case.

where are you planning on buying these parts from?

have you used Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! ? thats pretty much the place where you will find the cheapest parts at.

a 9800gt goes for $99+ at newegg, but for that same amount you could get

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

that 4850 handily outperforms the 9800gt.

and you could get this psu

Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

it will fit fine in your case.

Yea, I always order from Newegg. Why is that PSU better?

EDIT: I was looking at the 1gb model of the 9800, not the 512

the psu you were talking about is $75 on newegg. i thought that was a bit overpriced. i mean, yes you are paying extra for "corsair" quality, but that just seemed much.

antec, like corsair, is a also a good manufacturer, so its not some cheap brand. they would work the same, but i guess its up to you, thought id save you a bit :)

the psu you were talking about is $75 on newegg. i thought that was a bit overpriced. i mean, yes you are paying extra for "corsair" quality, but that just seemed much.

antec, like corsair, is a also a good manufacturer, so its not some cheap brand. they would work the same, but i guess its up to you, thought id save you a bit :)

Oh ok, yea I looked around for a while and I ended up going with that corsair one because it was the first one that I found that fit and had the cords I want and had decent reviews. But I'll look at the other one... So any word on the video card? Is the 512mb 4850 better than the 1gb 9800?

memory size dosen't really matter until you start gaming at really high resolutions. but even then, there is really no comparison, the 4850 is better.

and the antec has all the connections you should need.

memory size dosen't really matter until you start gaming at really high resolutions. but even then, there is really no comparison, the 4850 is better.

and the antec has all the connections you should need.

So 512 should be fine at 1440x900?

Ya, that's a really low resolution, and my HD 3850 512MB maxes most games at that resolution..

Also you don't want a 9800GT 1GB, even at higher resolutions it gets WORSE performance than its 512MB counterpart, because that GPU doesn't have an interface that's good enough to address more than 512MB; and either way the HD 4850 smokes the 9800GT and is the same price.

Antec used to be king of the hill before Corsair ever made/distributed PSUs. You would be hard pressed to beat an Antec and that Basiq 500W will be plenty for your needs. And your case will handle an ATX PSU.

The difference between 512MB and 1GB in a graphics card are small and only make a difference in high resolutions. On regular resolutions (1280 x 1024 or less) 512MB can actually perform better than 1GB.

The Sapphire mentioned above is good, but for $10 more you can get the Vapor-X version (better cooling):
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The XFX 4850 is the same price:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Drop another $17 and you could go with a 4870:
Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Ok so after much consideration I have decided to go with the antec PSU and the 4850 (Vapor cooled).

You guys have been awesome, see you around the forums! =)

p.s. You guys saved me like $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom