What do y'all recommend in a new Dell computer for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazer18

Baseband Member
Hey y'all,

I'm looking at getting a new computer soon and I hope to upgrade a bit from my current one. Right now I can play BF2 semi-decent but plenty of room for improvement. This one is 5 years old and has been run HARD.

Current specs are:
Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X

Anything else you need please let me know.

Does the processor's performance get worse with time and use? I know when I first started playing BF2 when this computer was new it ran so smoothly on high settings but now I get a bit of video/graphics lag.

Also, the new computer will be a Dell. Work has a pretty good discount on Dell parts.

If any of y'all can recommend what to get on a new computer to be able to run high end games decently I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

I'm going to put different parts in with the customize option on Dell's website. If anybody could go through and see what parts would benefit me the most I'd appreciate it.

Here's a link to the Dell XPS 630

Here's one to the Dell XPS 730x

EDIT:
Here's what I'm looking at right now.

Dell XPS 630
Intel® Core™2 Q9400 (6MB,2.66GHz, 1333FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
XPS Standard System Cooling
SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB or CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB not sure which yet
6GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs

All that comes out to $1,319. Not too bad I don't think. Anybody see any weak spots in that setup or something I should change?

That's actually a terrible price for what you're getting mate...for that cost you could build your own i7 rig.

So I pose the same question as Diceman, is there a specific reason you want a dell?

There is a great deal through work with Dell. I totally forgot about it actually when I got that price. I'll have to see what I can get it for through work.

Would have to be a heck of a deal. I know what kind of discount Dell gives us where i work and it would still not be enough to make that worth while. ALso, I have to wonder is there a reason for the SLI/Crossfire options? REally you would prolly be better off and save money with a single higher end card.

You should be able to build that rig for around $600, with better quality parts (and stuff with better bang for the buck) around $650 with two HD 4850's

Find out what that deal is first, then get back to us. Then we'll see what we can do for ya.

OK I'll have to get back to you on the discount price. I can't remember what it was but I know it's a certain percent off.

Regardless of price however I still doubt I will build my own. I'd like to try to learn how one day but this isn't the time. I, for one, don't know how to build one and two I won't be around much longer to build it. I'm leaving before long off to U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island to see what I'm made of:D. Now I'm getting off topic though.

I'm only looking to purchase a pre-built computer right now so I'll have it sooner and it'll be ready for the rest of the family to use when they want.

If y'all don't like Dell can you recommend another pre-built computer for me that will run high-end games easily? I'm willing to pay the extra money right now to have it built and ready to go out of the box.

Well most people who came here were in your position, no experience with this stuff, but it only took us a little while to convert them into system builder's with a few good guides (Google, CyberGooch How to Build a system, and its your first result)

Now, if you still aren't convinced on buying one, depending on how good or bad the discount is, I'd check out CyberPowerPC.com or NCIXUS.com (NCIXUS allows you to choose the parts, and for a $25 fee, they'll assemble it and ship it to you)

One thing you'll want to look into is how long it will take Dell to ship it to you as well, I know sometimes it can take a week to a month or more. Buying parts off newegg generally ship in 3 business days, so if you're pressed for time, it may be your best bet.

But if you don't feel comfortable building, that's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom