My New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor

Banned
Hello there people. I'm new to the forums, so I'm not so sure if this is were the topic goes, but it seems about right.

Recently my parents ordered me a computer from Dell to reward me for 8 years of perfect attendence. The computer that was ordered was a Dell Studio 540 Desktop. Here are its specs.

Copied from PC Wizard 2008(I'm not exactly a computer guru.)
Mainboard: Dell 0M017G
Chipset: Intel G43/G45
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2333 MHz
Physical Memory: 4096 MB (4 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4350
Hard Disk: WDC (640 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device
Monitor Type: Dell Computer DELL ST2010 - 20 inches
Network Card: Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Operating System: Windows (TM) Vista Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
DirectX: Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index: 3.8

-----------------------

I know that I could have probably built my own, for less money, and greater preformance, but as stated, I'm not exactly a computer guru. Could you guys please give me a small evaluation on the purchase, if it was worth it or not.

---------------------
Cost of machine after discounts and rebates: Approx $700

Considering you got a monitor with it I would say it's decent.

RAM, motherboard, power supply, are probably crap...graphics card is low end.

I say you could probably build something that had better parts for around $500-600...but since you got a monitor it kicks the value up a bit.

Yup, really since you got a monitor with the deal not too bad. If I were you I would knock up the GPU on my own when you can afford it. Depending on what you need the computer for you could get quite a bit of life out of the system.

For 700 bucks you probably could have gotten an AMD quad build with a monitor and a better video card, but you could have done a lot worse I suppose.

Besides, can't beat free.

Got that right. Can never beat free.
As for what I use the computer for, its nothing very intensive. World of Warcraft, BF2, TF2, downloading and watching movies, listening to music. Not very high-end gaming or anything like that.

now thats impressive. so that means you never cut/skipped class? did you get a cool certificate from your school?

now thats impressive. so that means you never cut/skipped class? did you get a cool certificate from your school?

I went to school with a kid and he never missed a day period...and i heard that he gets a new car free from the state....

his dad is a state senator...so yea i'm sure it has something to do with it :rolleyes: cause I know he has missed before :\

anyway: it is a decent build for what you pay. dells aren't the best but with a monitor it is a good buy. and as others have said I hope the power supply is good enough so you can upgrade the video card when ever you can :\

I've gone home early quite a bit. Yep. 8 certificates hanging on my wall, I also got $50... Not that much, but going to school everyday isn't a big deal

Edit: As for the power supply, when the warranty runs out I'm going to open it up and check it out even more. I'll probably end up replacing some things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom