Wow...its been a while. But I could sure use your guys' help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invisible

MetalHead Techie
Wow. change in scenery around here.

So...my 8800gt died on me. No longer under warranty...
I can upgrade my card ande just looking around I found th 9800gt, 9800gtx+, 4870 all greatly outdo my 8800gt. I game. mucho. And like to max things out. Would it be worth it tospend the extra 100-150 to maybe get a GTX 285?
Since my ram also died I was thinking 4gb of those Gskill Black
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory

I only want to spend what I need. Not looking for a system upgrade or anything
Any help greatly appreciated. (heck i know you guys will help you always do)

Hey mate, missed ya man!

For your build questions, I wouldn't go up to a GTX 285, after you go past the GTX 275/ HD 4890, the bang for the buck is really really low; mind you the card is freaking awesome, albeit not worth the extra $100

Quite a bit mate... didn't you have that overclocked at 3.2ghz a while ago?

Maybe pickup an e5200 and OC it to 4.0ghz along with that HD 4890

and your RAM is fine

Ya that was in the prime of my system. Numerous problems followed including a defective motherboard, ram, and gpu. Along with about 3 corrupt vista installations and losing all my data twice. I've been quite angry with it.

The PI Blacks are some great stuff. I have a kit myself.

Your cpu is going to bottleneck that 4890 for sure...any chance you can upgrade to something faster? Off the top of my head, not sure what your board supports, but I would assume an E5200 would work in there, right?

The PI Blacks are some great stuff. I have a kit myself.

Your cpu is going to bottleneck that 4890 for sure...any chance you can upgrade to something faster? Off the top of my head, not sure what your board supports, but I would assume an E5200 would work in there, right?

Great minds think alike, I said the same thing, with his Tuniq Tower 120, he should hit 4.0ghz easily

Just to butt in here a minute, I have to say that I recently purchased a 9800GTX+ and I have to say that I am impressed. It is eVGA brand. It has handled everything I have thrown at it so far. It runs The Last Remnant simply beautifully with everything maxed out. The only problem with that game is the texture fade-in, but that is a fault of the Unreal engine itself, not the card. It is definitely the best card I have ever owned on a price-performance ratio. Just thought I'd share. Good luck in your choice.

No real point in getting a 9800GTX+ nowadays, since the GTS 250 came out. But they are nice cards, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom