Upgrading Current CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattie1169

Beta member
Hey guys, so here's the deal. My mom's got this really old Dell Optiplex G150 computer and is complaining it's to slow.

Now, not wanting to buy another computer she wants to upgrade it...
The question I have is, would upgrading the cpu to something a little more power full increase the speed of the computer?

If so, does anyone have suggestions? I know the motherboard must have some restrictions as to what you can put on there.

If not, Is there anything else to increase the speed? Other than the usual dumping of temporary files and the odd disk defragmenter.

I've heard 512MB RAM is the max you can run on the mobo, but I'm sure you would know a lot better than me.

Specs:

Current CPU is a Pentium III processor. 1000Mhz, and a cache of 256.
Running on the old Foxconn L S-36 Motherboard.
Windows XP Home edition
20GB Hard drive about 8 Gigs free space.
512 mb RAM

Thanks a ton, I know its alot to ask for a first post, but I plan on sticking around for a while, looks like a well rounded forum.:cool:

You'll need a new mobo, cpu, ram and probably psu... so basically evedrything but a case....

Best ist to just get a whole new thing... Which can be done for 300ish as you have the OS.

I agree, my thought was the same, that upgrading a CPU for that system would be more cost than what you and she would get out of it.

I don't think the 945gc allows Wolfdales..

Just get an e2180 or something instead

wow, you guys are awesome...
Thanks a ton, I was afraid this was the only solution.

Trotter, you the man. here's a cookie for all your hard efforts
e495.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom