Help with SATA drives on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

notoriouscwe

Beta member
Hello all, first time poster here. I'm frustrated with a build I started earlier today. I'm building an htpc, specs are as follows:

Old stuff from a desktop of mine:

MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1x1gb Corsair
300gb SATA HDD

Stuff I ordered:

Lite-on blue ray drive
HTPC case
Sapphire HDMI card
Media remote
500watt power supply

I put everything together, and I boot it up to try to install Windows 7 from a DVD. The blu-ray drive wasn't recognized by the bios, but the SATA HDD was, as the third master IDE drive. There may be data on there, formatting it is fine with me but my question is how do I set it to primary master, and get the machine to boot from the flash drive? I realize I have to set the boot sequence. The flash drive (I know I have windows installed, and bootable on it. I have the boot sequence settings correct and when I boot it, it says:

Detecting IDE drives..
IDE fourth master: none
IDE fifth master: none
IDE sixth master: none

Floppy disk(s) fail (40) - I don't have a floppy

Press F1 to Continue or DEL to setup - when I press F1, it says DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

When I press ENTER, it just goes to a blank screen and does nothing.

Where do I proceed from here? Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to look at this again but I have been at work doing more research. A coworker suggested that I update the BIOS, which I will try.

One thing I was able to do, was plug in my old IDE master HD, which has XP pro installed on it. However when I boot windows, the SATA drive, as well as my Blueray drive do not show up in my computer, or in the device manager. Is it possible that my SATA cables are messed up considering they are ~4 years old?

Go into your setup (e.g. press DEL when it tells you to)

Look for an option as to how the hard drives are setup. There's usually a few modes, such as 'extended', 'advanced', or just something plain like 'sata' Make sure the option you choose has sata drive support.

As to the fact that it's the third IDE master, you can change that by choosing which port you plug the drive into on your motherboard.
For the floppy, again while you're in the bios setup you'll have to look for the floppy drive options. Usually it's something like 'enable floppy' or 'floppy drive type'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom