Help with this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
Hi this is not my problem, I have told them the problem seems to be with the disk but for a more definitive answer I will ask you lot:

I have a disc, I put it in my laptop, the little "how do you want to run this disc" pops up, with run autorun.exe or open file to view folders etc. I click autorun, the screen goes dark and the "windows cannot verify this disc - cancel or allow" pops up, so I press allow, and then nothing happens.

Is this something to do with needing to be an administrator (which I should be already..) or am I falling down somewhere else.

Can anyone suggest something I've not tried? How do I run a disc with admin privileges (it's not on the right click menu..)

Help appreciated.:cool:

It isn't my problem, but so I haven't I thought the problem was because the data on the disk was corrupt or the pc wasn't able to read it for some reason is this not the case?

OH, this was your advice to another then. Sorry, misunderstood the original post. I would suggest trying to access it from Windows Explorer. If it is, in fact, non-readable, the cursor will go into an hourglass loop for a minute or so and Windows will report that the disc is unreadable. If it is readable, windows will either run an autorun file associated with the disc or if, if there is no autorun info or autorun of that drive is turned off, Windows will open the disc allowing the file structure to be browsed. Hope this helps.

you(whoever this dude is) could start the command prompt as an admin (by right clicking) then opening the disk in there, not sure if that'd work though...

What happens if you just close that box, then go to My Computer and double click the cd drive?

If again nothing happens, then actually open the cd (right click, select open).
Browse around, see if you can find what the autorun should be opening.
If it's an application then you'll be looking for a setup.exe file. If it's a movie, then open something like Media Player Classic and select the 'Open DVD' option.

If it fails to even open, can you verify that it's just this disk that's failing? What happens if you try opening the disk in a different pc?

If that fails, Windows will tell you it is unreadable. This could be caused by a number of things, ranging from damaged disc, 'coaster' if it is a burned disc, or could simply be blemishes, fingerprints, etc.. on the disc. Visually inspect the disc and if fingerprints are noticed, place it under lightly running, lukewarm water for a few seconds, then wipe dry in a circular motion with a non-porous cloth, such as a paper towel. If, after this, it still doesn't read, then you can safely say that the disc, itself, is bad. Good luck.

The drive could also be bad. I've come across a lot of disks which, for some reason or other, wouldn't work in a certain drive, but worked fine in others. Hence why I suggested trying the disk in a different pc.

Good suggestion, SOULphIRE and I completely agree, although I would try cleaning the disk first, but that is just me.

Then again, anyone would would insert another disc, not have it read, and then still blames the disc itself, deserves to be left in the dark. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom