Help me upgrade my rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dual core vs tri-core, though. It would be worth the extra $13.

Heck, toss in another $40 and you can get a quad.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What do you think about that processor mated with this board?

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

To stay with the tri-core, go with these combos:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $196 w/$15 MIR.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $194

onboard video is disabled when a vid card is used. onboard USB are there if you need it, like for card readers or whatnot. Vern got this board and loves it so far.

I realize onboard video is not used when an external card is used, just thought that the Gigabyte was probably a better brand and board. Like I said I'm not really up on the hardware side of things though. These two look like they would be the best out of the triple core setups since they are capable of DDR2 1066.

Around 200 bucks, eh? Well check this out.

Just over 200 bucks for a quad core and an AM3 capable board that meets all your stuff. Then you can pick up this RAM:

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory

That way you're paying $262.57 after shipping, not to mention you have the option of getting back 30 bucks after rebate.

EDIT: Trotski's got some good suggestions as well.

That looks like a great setup and a great price. The description doesn't say it's an AM3 board though? What do you think of this setup Trotter(I'm not trying to undermine you by any means hikaricloud, just thought I'd get another opinion).

That board will run an AM3 CPU, as will all AM2+ boards. And don't worry... we are all here to help. ;) Actually, that's the board hikaricloud is running with his x3, so he knows it is a good OC board. I didn't see that combo as I was looking at the lower end of things to save money. :D

With the board being AM2+, it uses DDR2 instead of DDR3. That saves you money without sacrificing speed as DDR3 is not showing any real performance improvements (unless you buy the super high speed with the super high prices). It would be one heck of a setup.

That board will run an AM3 CPU, as will all AM2+ boards. And don't worry... we are all here to help. ;) Actually, that's the board hikaricloud is running with his x3, so he knows it is a good OC board. I didn't see that combo as I was looking at the lower end of things to save money. :D

With the board being AM2+, it uses DDR2 instead of DDR3. That saves you money without sacrificing speed as DDR3 is not showing any real performance improvements (unless you buy the super high speed with the super high prices). It would be one heck of a setup.

Thanks Trotter, I think I'll go for that.

Thanks for all the help guys, cyber beer for you all. : )

Actually, that's a new board that's come out, mine is the TA790GX 128M. :p Though the only difference that I saw at a glance was it has 1 PCI-E 2.0 slot. So I'm sure it's nearly the same board. :p

But as Trotski said, it will definitely handle AM3.

Any recommendations on a heastink/fan? I don't need anything fancy, whatever gets the job done. Something quiet would be nice since I sleep only 20 ft. from my PC and watch TV about 7 ft. from it. From what I've read in the mobo manual, it sounds like it will control the fan speed as needed.

I can use an AM2/AM2+ heatsink/fan on this AM3 chip, correct?

I'm going to order everything today.

Should be fine. If you throw in a video card later though, you will need a new one. But for what you're doing, that should be plenty.

I plan to re-use my MSI NX6800GT video card, in case you were under the impression I would be using the onboard graphics.

If it won't handle my stand alone video card I could use the onboard until I have enough cash to upgrade the PSU though I guess.

Got it all ordered. $302 total. Might as well spend a little more now to keep it more up with the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom