First Build: Want Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

davinci28

Beta member
Hey everyone. I'm a first time builder, taking advice from my older brother who built his own a few years ago. Right now, I have a Dell E310, integrated graphics, 2 PCI slots, both filled (wireless and TV capture cards). I got it for Christmas 2006, and it has served me well.

Now, however, with games advancing so fast, I want a rig that can handle them, and be able to upgrade.

So, I put this together. I'd appreciate any comments, concerns, questions, criticisms, advice, etc.

Case: Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black ATX Mid Tower

Mobo: EVGA nForce 790i

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz

RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2x2) DDR3 Dual Channel

Video: EVGA Gefore 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-Bit

PCU: Need some advice in this department.

So far, that's about $700. I'd like to go no higher than $750, so keep that in mind if you have any suggestions.

Also, will the Video Card fit in the case? I don't know how to tell. If anyone has a better graphics card in mind, feel free to mention it.

I'm taking the Disk Drives, Hard Drives, Wireless, and TV Capture Card from my current computer, as well as using my current (aftermarket) monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, and speakers, so don't worry about those.

In short, what do you think?

The 790i is way too expensive for what you get out of it. In fact, most nVidia chipsets are too expensive, and I would only recommend getting one if you were going to SLI later.

The Q9400 is a good processor. I would get this combo deal for it though: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The Biostar there is one of the best overclocking boards out there, and it's 85 bucks after that combo deal. You'd be saving over 100 bucks, which you can put into a better GPU.

You can grab this RAM, great overclocking stuff, and a good deal either way: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory

I would recommend getting this ATI card... Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

As for a PSU, are you looking to add another card later? You'd only be able to with the ATI in this case scenario. I think you'd be more than fine with a Corsair 650w: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

So to sum up, with your case, and all the parts I recommended, you're looking at the cost being $764.97 after shipping, and you'll get back 55 bucks in MIRs.

There's room to tweak, but this will get you a much better deal for your money.

The 790i is way too expensive for what you get out of it. In fact, most nVidia chipsets are too expensive, and I would only recommend getting one if you were going to SLI later.

The Q9400 is a good processor. I would get this combo deal for it though: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The Biostar there is one of the best overclocking boards out there, and it's 85 bucks after that combo deal. You'd be saving over 100 bucks, which you can put into a better GPU.

You can grab this RAM, great overclocking stuff, and a good deal either way: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory

I would recommend getting this ATI card... Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

As for a PSU, are you looking to add another card later? You'd only be able to with the ATI in this case scenario. I think you'd be more than fine with a Corsair 650w: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

So to sum up, with your case, and all the parts I recommended, you're looking at the cost being $764.97 after shipping, and you'll get back 55 bucks in MIRs.

There's room to tweak, but this will get you a much better deal for your money.

+ 1 mate..

Btw, Pete its a pity the q9550 isn't available with the TP45HP as a combo, because the q9400 and q9550 is the same fracking price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom