Cannot connect to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

osborne3

In Runtime
Hello i have been having this problem for days now where i can't seem to connect to the internet i have called my ISP and there's nothing wrong with there connection or my modem anyway this all seemed to happen after a few events.
1. After i isntalled new nvidia Nforce drivers
2. After i OCed my CPU
3 After i disabled auto protect etc on Norton
The most likely thing i can think of is i have caught a viruse so i am trying to scan my computer and i keep getting this error in norton. Is it real?
Capture-1.jpg

Any help would be MUCH MUCH MUCH APRECIATED : )

Edit: oh and my mobo is Nforce 680i sli
and i'm running on X64 bit vista

Try a system restore back to before you installed the drivers. This sounds like a virus though so you might want to post something up in the Virus forum and maybe run Hijack This. Usually viruses WANT you to connect to the Internet though because they turn your machine into a zombie and shoot out spam all the time.

Are you being assigned an ip address?
Can you ping an external website from a command prompt like google?

I would uninstall Norton using this. Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
If you want to reinstall it after go ahead but I would go with avg free as an alternative.

Yeah see how much of our guide you can get through. It will be difficult because it appears as though you are being blocked somehow.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-6-2-2009-a-165828/

When i use IPCONFIG it says Media disconnected and my IP starts with 169. the ISP guy said that was bad so we tried IPCONFIG/RENEW and it wouldn't work.
Ok i tried PING well at least i think i tried PING and i got nothing back.
Also i tried system restore but couldn't go to far back so that didn't work unless the viruse is affecting that somehow

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode with Networking?

I believe when you restart, press the F8 key. (Vista?)

Umm yes i have tried this on the phone with the ISP guy but i myaswell try it again thnx
also does anyone reckon it could be a problem with nvidia drivers? or my internet settings?

That could be a possibility too, try to reinstall your chipset and NIC drivers

I agree with hefe, uninstall Norton. Also post up your hijack log in the virus section on the forum so someone can go through it for you.

edit: just read your other post.

Definitely uninstall norton, and if you have a spare network cable try replacing the one going from your pc to your modem

HELLO I JUST MADE A BIG DISCOVERY IT WORKS THROUGH THE USB!
THis gives me reason to believe that ther's something wrong with my ethernets port or drivers?
I'm affraid to to plug the ethernet cable back in what should my next cause of action be?

Just pluged ethernet cable back in and yep it went straight back to the way it was before so i replugged the USB in and it connected straight away. Anway so the way i see it it must have something to do with the NVIDIA MOBO drivers i will go about deleting them and getting new ones again hopefully this fixes the problem if it doesn't then i don't what to do.
Is there still a possibility that it's a virus?
Is using the USB any different to using the ethernet cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom