Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

imranh101

Beta member
Hello guys - I'm new to this forum!
I am good with computers, hardware wise - and great with computer's software side!
I vaguely remember programming like 5 years ago....
Now.... I decided it was time to upgrade my video card...
Here are my current computer specs
Code:
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
       System Model: KM266-8235
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~1.8GHz
             Memory: 736MB RAM
          Page File: 414MB used, 1386MB available
Now - I'm limited to well known sites when buying online (Dont have a credit card yet - dad will be buying) and E-Bay is a no-no.
Now, I'm looking into new egg and I found 2 decent looking cards
My budget is <$60....
Also - I do NOT have a PCIExpress slot! My PC is going on... I dunno, sixth or seventh year? I have a couple PCI and 1 AGP slot
As of now a new computer is also not the answer....
Anyway, here are the ones I've found
HIS card
And the EVGA card
Now as I said I am decent with the hardware side of PCs - so I'm not sure if these are the best choices!
Any help is appreciated - tell me which of these is better, or point me to another, better one I can get for less than $60!
Also, since I dont have the best of RAM, I hope to be upgrading soon - and have a question - do they have 1GB DDR sticks, and how do I tell what is my PC's max DDR?
Thanks in advance - I'll be back on here are around 11 to check for replies :)

Wow, okay. You have a few problems. The first being those cards are ridiculously expensive for what you get out of them. Not to mention they're PCI.

You don't need to just upgrade your video card and RAM, you need to work up a whole new computer. Spending money on your current machine would just be a waste.

Your best bet would be to save your money to get a decent machine later.

Wow what did I say
Directly quoting my post
As of now a new computer is also not the answer....

Please stick to my problem on hand - I can spend up to
$ 100 renovating this piece of crap but currently I dont want to save up
$3 or 400 for a new computer.

Hey guy- Hikaricloud is giving you his honest opinion, and I think 99% of the members here would agree with him. Using $100 to "upgrade" your computer now will not have a great impact at all. But hey, if that's what you want to do- and I can guess it is, then have at it. It is your money and your decision, we were just trying to give you solid advice.

I know what you said, I'm able to read.

But if you read what I said, you would notice I mentioned waiting. Which would mean that the answer isn't right now.

But it's your money and your decision. If you want to waste it, then I can give you advice on what you want.

First off, drop the PCI cards. Get an AGP. Any of these would be fine.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

As for your RAM, they have been making 1gb sticks for a while now...but you should check to see what your motherboard can hold at maximum. I think your board takes DDR PC2100 (266) RAM, but you should check to be sure.

Go here: RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com and look up your computer.

EDIT: This is all the memory newegg has for your machine.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Memory,Desktop Memory,184-Pin DDR SDRAM,DDR 266 (PC 2100)

Find out what your board can handle max, then go nuts.

Honestly imranh, upgrading that machine will be a waste of money as you'll see almost no improvement. Wait and save up for a couple of months and then grab a good budget gaming machine. We're trying to help you here not tell you what to do.

Well sadly I'm looking at $4-600 for a "budget gaming machine"
And considering I'm still in highschool, my parents don't want me getting a job yet, I dont have a car, and I wouldnt be allowed to buy a computer on line. it would be 2 years before I could get a new computer and by then I'd just be done with gaming comupters and be buying the PS4 or New XBOX with the money. Heck with that much money I could buy both!

My PS3 cost $550 when I bought it.

Not sure what not having a car has to do with anything, but why wouldn't you be able to purchase the game online? $600 will definitely get you a budget PC, much better than what you have now and the money won't be wasted.

I guess goo for one of the AGP cards that Hikari suggested. Good luck and hopefully you get the change you wanted with a new card! Post back and let us know how it worked out, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post a new thread :)

Not the game online, buying a computer online.
And yeah like I said $600 is TOO MUCH
Did you actually READ my post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom