Copying DVDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dvd Decrypter and Clone DVD make a beautiful combo.

Clone DVD does a Hell of a job compressing the Image. I've made backups of 24 which consists of 4 45 minute episodes, and watched them projected on a large screen, with no real degredation of image/sound quality.

I've cloned dvds with compresson reaching into the low 50% and haven't noticed any degradation of quality.

Xula said:
Awsome, thanks!

One more quick question...! My DVD+/-RW says it can do up to 4.7GB disks--does that mean there's no way it could support a larger size, or they just don't ensure it? (It was a "free after rebate" at Office Max--I can't complain too much!)

Thanks for all the info...that program DVD Shrink looks awsome, for being free and all :D (Downloading now.)

Also! On a related topic...is there any way to compress these images of DVDs? (As in, to simply store the 8GB image on the computer, but also reduce the size (WinRar/Zip or something?)...just curious as an alternative...! Thanks.

no, to use 8GB recordable double/ dual layer DVDs you need to use a double/ dual layer DVD burner.

if you compress the dvd files that cannot be read by a software DVD player on the computer. Also the time it takes to compress 8GB is crazy, it would take forever to compress and decompress everytime you wanted to watch it.

I myself use DVDshrink to put only the main movie on DVDs. I used to rip the entire movie to disk and watch them off the TV, I hate any kind of compression or quality loss. you could use Dr.Divx or Xvid encoder to compress them to 1GB per movie, but the quality sucks. I kept all the VOBs, BUPs, etc. After doing this for a while I figured it's a waste to play it off a hard disk, plus what if someone wants a copy of the movie ....err I mean borrow it?

m3incorp said:
Sure am glad that I got DVD X Copy before it was outlawed.

What is that?

I've used DVD Shrink now...doing the "quality" checks where it goes over the compressed data three times takes approximently 6hrs/per 8GB DVD, and then another .5hr for burning it. Looks great on the TV (well, as good as the original), so I can't complain...! I keep thinking to myself though, I should just get the image on the harddrive (of the original 8GB)...would be so much faster, and orignal quality, but then again, I'd have to buy more drives, as 8GB/time would fill it up quite fast! :p

Thanks for all the info!

DVD X copy was licensed by 321 studios and it worked OK but was outlawed when they lost in court. This caused 321 studios to shut down. I used it for a short while but DVD shrink is more powerful in the re-authoring and it is free. Maybe that is why they haven't taken it down YET....

If it is a classic I use ifoedit (free) to split it to 2 disc

85% of movies I use dvd shrink (7 gig and under)

7-9 gigs movies I use Instant copy 7 as it give the best video quality of all of the shrinking programs. however, it take a long time compare to the others (1-6 hours)

But I use to burn dvds 3-4 years ago when Burners cost $700.00
and converting a dvd 9 to a dvd 5 took 24 hrs to do. these programs had little or no loss in quality as they shrunk it on a frame by frame basis

I have a 46' HDTV at home and I compared the quality of the image from the original with the copied version of my movies and never saw the difference even at 16 X Zoom. I like DVDSHRINK because it allows me to remove unwanted parts such as languages, extras, menus etc... This reauthoring really helps lowering the compression factors in movies. In the (few) cases where I want to keep the extras, I'll burn them on another DVD and make the movie into a 2 disks set.

Xula said:
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, as it could be multiple things (software, hardware etc!) But was curious if someone could tell me...

I recently purchased a DVD+/-RW, and some DVD-R's with 4.7 GB capacity. I tried copying a DVD and the image of it was about 8 GB, are there different sizes? (This was a single-sided DVD...). And also, what software do you reccommend? Currently I use Nero 6.

Software that I have been using to back up my dvds has been DVD Shrink with DVD Region Free running in the background.
DVD Shrink is Freeware. DVD Region Free is not. However you have DVD Decriptor that can will take it's place.

Personally i have not noticed lose on quality on my home entertainment set up. But then again, I don't have a HDTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom