Using an internal Hard Drive as an external

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static1

Beta member
I have a laptop and its performance seems good, however the laptops hard drive has a capacity of only 60GBS, and I'm starting run out of space. Now, before I go out and replace my laptops hard drive, I'm wondering if it's possible to connect the 3.5" SATA Hard Drive, that I have lying around, via USB, using some kind of adapter. Then, I could use my laptops hard drive and use the 3.5" at the same time, saving me some time and hard earned monies. :happy: Oh, and one more thing, if I do this, would I be able to install an OS (Windows 7 RC) onto the external hard drive.

Win7 RC cannot be installed on an external device without some serious hacking up of the ISO.

Anyway, on to your main question. You can just buy an external enclosure if you want. What interface is the 3.5" HDD? BTW, just so you know, don't cheap out on an external enclosure, it's no worth it as they can crap out easily (bought a $60 IcyDock enclosure that still works fantastically, and a $30 OKGear enclosure...the OKGear decided to start to die on me after a few months).

You can install Win7 on the laptop HDD and use the external that you will have (if you follow Carnage's advice) for storage.

Valid points, but the 60 bucks for the IcyDock will almost get you a 250GB 7200 RPM laptop (2.5", 9mm height) HD.

Ya I was going to suggest the same as snowsurfer, just purchase a new internal HD. They are pretty cheap at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom