I'm 99.9% sure Hardware Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcreteWaves

Solid State Member
As of right now though, I'm 99.9% sure i'm having a hardware problem displaying my monitor. Here's my story and here's where I am: :freak:

I spontaenously decided to take apart my family CPU and do a complete internal air-in-a-can blowout of the hardware; motherboard, gfx card, fans, wires, harddrive, power supply, etc. etc.

1. thing wrong I know I did when taking it apart, is I didnt pay close enough attention to the Power SW, Reset SW, L.D.D. HED, and Speaker jumper setting. 1st question: Is there a set order for the jumpers to be in, or aslong as they are inserted into a jumper?

2. The flat series of wires that connect to your harddrive, floppy drive, CD/DVR Writers etc. I didnt pay attention to the 1 colored wire in the flat series of wires, which direction it was facing.

3. When using the air-in-a-can I SHOOK the can then sprayed the motherboard and graphics card. Then looked at the label saying Do Not Shake this can before or during use. :eek: I don't know I'm just trying to find my error in all this mess.

4. During the taking apart process I carried the graphics card around with me around the house put it down a couple times etc.

And then I put the computer back together and I know that I put the computer mainly back together right. I'm only curious as to the jumper positions with 10 sockets and 9 prongs. Because now the Power Switch isn't working. But I can care less about that til' later, I want my monitor display to work. My monitor says NO DISPLAY SIGNAL going around like a screen saver then when I go to insert the white cable from the monitor to the CPU it goes black and the monitor power light which is supposed to be solid is just flashing.

I heard that if there is no monitor display,
it can either be your monitor or your graphics card and if not either it can be your motherboard.
I know the monitor is fine. And the graphics card was working an hour before I took it apart and put it back together.

It might be the motherboard but I doubt it. The computer was working fine earlier today, I'm thinking it was just a minor error I made when taking it apart, dusting out, and putting back together.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ANY IDEAS?
Any help?

This computer is the family computer and has alot of information on it. I'm thinking in the back of my head I f**ked up the graphics card some how, and if that's the case - fine - i'll get a new one I got lifetime warranty. But motherboard O.O hope not. And Monitor, idk how that would gotten messed up - I left it in the same position.

So someone gimme some input and get back to me on this one.

-Thanks ConcreteWaves

P.S. I forgot to add, CPU DOES turn on and fans and lights are working on the internal. And I'm pretty sure I hear booting up sounds.

Well. There's a few things this could be.

Easiest ones (hope these are the problem) would be your RAM isn't seated properly and the inside speaker isn't plugged in. Reseat the RAM, check the speaker. Or your graphics card isn't plugged in correctly. Try reseating that too. If the RAM trick doesn't work. Also, clear the CMOS.

Other than that, I would assume either your graphics card or mobo has fried. When you shook the can, did liquid spray out? Also, when you carried the card around, did you walk over any carpets? It's a bit unlikely, but there could be damage to those components.

Try the top things first, see what happens.

EDIT: Don't bump your thread, we aren't instantaneous transporters, or light speed typists. Takes a few minutes to get a response, especially with a long post like yours.

I reseated the RAM. and Nothing. How do I reset CMOS? The gfx card is seated correctly and reseated and nothing. Yes, I walked over carpet with the gfx card - not the mobo. and when you say check the speaker, do you mean - the speaker jumper? Does it matter where it is.

-EDIT-

Oh and i'm pretty sure I didn't see any liquid come out, but it was a possibility. However, I took ev erything apart and individually sprayed each item outside in a wind, with the can....so even if liquid came out i'm sure it would have blown away.

Just brain aching wondering what this problem is sitting by the comp for the past 3 hours trying to fix maybe jumper positions and things. Wondering what the **** the problem may be.

-EDIT-

hey nevermind, I found out how to reset CMOS by browsing more around the forums and found a sticky. Still nothing. I reset the CMOS (atleast I think I did, I took out the battery waited n put it back in.) Checked the ram and adjusted the jumpers and still nothing. My gfx card fan is running so its not busted but something can still be wrong, IDK. Confused, I know how to put a cpu back together and what it should look like back together....its put back correctly just with a minor error somewhere ><

Worst case scenario, the graphics card got fried? somehow? What you guys think.

What kind of a PC is it? Can you give us the Make & Model#? What does the Motherboard have written on it? Once again were wanting the Make and Model#, and the Motherboard is the large board that everything plugs into.

Did you take the heatsink off of the cpu? If the answer is yes did you re-apply the thermal paste?

I would say worst case scenario something happened to the mobo. Hope it wasn't that.

If reseating everything and clearing the CMOS didn't work, we aren't left with many options. I would say to make sure all the power connectors are plugged in correctly...what kind of graphics card is it?

Hmm the computer is called the Dream 2003 made by iBUYPOWER. I really don't know how to tell you very much more without the CPU turning on its got 2.50GB RAM a BFG GeForce 6200 GFX Card, It's a full size motherboard I know that... Intel based - it is old I know that much - about 7 or 8 years old, but no corrosion and used to be a good mobo at the time. It's an obsolete cpu, but it used to be the best of it's time back in the day.

OH OKAY, just looked at the mobo closely ontop it says:

Intel Desktop Board D865PERL
BFG GeForce 6200 GT
2.50 GB RAM 2x256MB Corsair Card 1GB Kingston 1 GB Kingston
Intel(R) Pentium 4 Processor (If I remember correctly, Pentium 4)
Raidmax ATX12V 420W Power Supplye
250GB HDD

2009-06-28094406-1.jpg

2009-06-28094424.jpg

2009-06-28094459.jpg

2009-06-28094515.jpg

2009-06-28094515.jpg

2009-06-28094607.jpg

2009-06-28094641.jpg

This is my computer >< As you can see if you can tell by the pics - it is for the most part hooked up correctly. The picture with the jumpers, I am showing you to see if you know which order they go in in the jumper bank behind them.

Nope didnt take off the heatsink. Let me read this manual and try and find out the jumper setup. Do the jumpers have anything to do with the computer turning on and off?

EDIT

I have read the manual and followed the instructions to insert the Power SW, H.D.D. LED, Reset SW pins, but I am still left with the Speaker 4-set pin open and i'm almost positive it was inserted before. This is my system after reading the manual: Please look closely.

The Speaker Switch Without a Home :(
2009-06-28120122.jpg

Notice it has 4 spot but only 2 pins , 1 on the left and 1 on the right
2009-06-28120157.jpg

I moved my front USB connectors to a lower USB strip of pins.
2009-06-28120224.jpg

These are a closer picture of my Front Panel pins inserted as followed by the manual. Red/White = H.D.D. LED Blue/White = RESET SW Orange/White = POWER SW
2009-06-28120254.jpg

The Speaker pin is connected to this gold internal speaker built right into the case....never really noticed it until yesterday when I opened up the comp to blow it out. I wonder what it's for???? o_O
2009-06-28120417.jpg

The little red wire in the flat belt is on the right. This IDE connects my CD and DVD-WR
2009-06-28120457.jpg

This is my Hard Drive IDE. The blue wire is on the right.
2009-06-28120546.jpg

This is the system as of now....still NOT WORKING ><
2009-06-28120618.jpg

BUMP:

After trial and error, still not working but got to the bottom of it. It ended up being that I disasembled the CPU in my garage in the summer, the old Intel board couldn't handle the humidity and bubbled causing the mobo to fry.

So now I need to pretty much rebuild a whole new computer, buy mobo, processor, get new GFX card since I'm under lifetime warranty and it's old so there going to send me a newer one.
The big tower is too bulky, i'm going to pick up a mid-tower probably and transfer everything. So bottom line old parts, new parts - build a new cpu in mid-tower, faster, better, /shrug.

speakerp.jpg

1. This is a built-in speaker. Do not use the one your worried about. It probably came made into the case before your PC was ever assembled.

2. These pins are for the Pwr LED. Not the pwr sw or the speaker.

3. this is a usb header and I see a loose wire. I'm thinking this may be your problem. If any of these are connected to the wrong pin your PC may not start. Unhook all of them to start with and see if it powers up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom