Upgrading graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

1mike

Solid State Member
Ok, so my friend gave me a NVIDIA e-GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card PCI-E, and i was wondering if my computer could handle the upgrade. Im thinking the power supply would not be able to, but what if I were to unplug the cd drive to save power(Might be a bad idea not sure.)

Edit: He also gave me a eVGA Nvdidia G-force 6600 card, would that be a noticeable upgrade from my intergrated one? If the 8800 doesnt work out.

I get the feeling im going to need a new PSU, so do I just take meassurements from the inside? To make sure it fits and will new PSU Include its measurements.

Here are my specs

Brand HP - Compaq
Model - DX2450(KA574UT#ABA)

Form Factor Micro Tower
Processor AMD Athlon X2 4450B(2.3GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Dual Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 2 x 512KB L2 Cache
Memory 2GB DDR2 800
Hard Drive 80GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0 Gb/s NCQ
Optical Drive 1 DVD/CD-RW combo
Graphics Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Audio RealTek ALC888S High Definition Audio Codec
Ethernet 10/100/1000 NIC
Power Supply 300W
Keyboard PS/2 standard keyboard
Mouse USB 2-button optical scroll mouse
Operating System Windows Vista Business / XP Professional downgrade

Expansion
PCI Slots (Available/Total) 1 full-height PCI 2.3
2 full-height PCIe x1
1 full-height PCIe x16

Heres a link to my computer on newegg if you want to see all my specs just click specifications Newegg.com - HP Compaq DX2450(KA574UT#ABA) Athlon X2 4450B(2.3GHz) 2GB DDR2 80GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows Vista Business / XP Professional downgrade - Desktop PCs

Thanks

yea, you will need to upgrade your psu.

the 8800GTS is better than the 6600, put you will need a new power supply. you should look for an ATX psu. the 8800 will also require a pci-e connection.

what is your budget for a new power supply?

yea, you will need to upgrade your psu.

the 8800GTS is better than the 6600, put you will need a new power supply. you should look for an ATX psu. the 8800 will also require a pci-e connection.

what is your budget for a new power supply?

Well, I can probably spend $100(Not sure how much psu's go for), but I would rather find the cheaper one, but still decent quality.

Also the 8800 Card shows PCI-E on the box, what do you mean require a connection?
Is it the DVI-I to VGA Adapter.

Edit: Thanks for the quick reply

Edit: Also ive asked this question on a few forums now, and most people say new PSU but one person says mine would be fine for 8800, is he wrong?
Here is what he says-

For the 8800GTS, you need a power supply that has at least 26 amps on the 12v rail for the entire system. The card itself will draw ~150watts at max so as long as your power supply can supply the current needed, 300W will be more than enough considering your processor has a max TDP of 45w.

The poster saying you need a 500 watt+ power supply is spreading misinformation. You don't need anywhere near that for a lower power system.
Although, im prety sure i need a new PSU as well. Any suggested PSUs?
Would 500 W be enough, heres one i found.
Newegg.com - XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W 500W ATX SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Ok, so i need a PSU that can connect into the pci-e connector? I see that on my card.

Also how do I make sure the PSU will fit in my computer? I dont see any meassurements of the PSU on new egg. A while back I bought a new PSU for a old computer and it didnt fit hah.

Edit: Also my current PSU doesnt have an off\on switch like the one you linked does. Wont that make it not fit in my case?
Edit: Actually im going to open my pcu up right now and see if it has one of those big holes in back for PSU so the switch will fit or not.

that psu will fit fine. all you have to do is line up the screw holes and screw them in.

Alright thanks for the help.
One last question though, do you think I could instill the Nvidia G-force 6600 with the 300w PSU untill my new PSU arrives? Or would the intergrated one be just as good.
Thanks again.

My wife's computer is running a 6600GT with a 300W PSU, so I know it will work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom