Help me upgrade my rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortstop20

I'm looking to upgrade my P4 Desktop. I'm not much of a gamer anymore. Mostly I do web surfing(many pages open at a time), playing songs, ripping movies, burning discs, etc.

Here's the mobo and processor I've been looking at. It fits all my needs, no problems there. I'm mainly just looking to see what people think of these pieces, their experiences with the company(good or bad), etc. If you would recommend something else, by all means let me know.

Mobo:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Processor:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

I used that processor in a previous build for a customer and it was quite speedy, very happy with it. I also had it teamed with a Gigabyte board(although it was another model).

Not sure which memory I should get between these two though:

I will be buying 4GB of memory total(two sticks).

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1150 (PC2 9200) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P1150LV4GK - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1150 (PC2 9200) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B1150LV4GK - Desktop Memory

On Gigabyte's webpage, it says this under the certified memory section.

Note: Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, memory module DDR2 1066 or above speed is only supported by 1 dimm per channel.

Am I understanding this correctly that if I run each memory module in separate channels I will be able to run them at DDR21150 speeds but if I put them in dual channel mode(or add two more 2GB sticks), they will all run in DDR2 1000 mode?

I thought the point of dual channel RAM was for more speed but yet they say it takes away speed if you run them in dual channel?

I found this set of memory for a better price but the voltage is higher than recommended for the mobo I chose. Probably a bad idea I suppose.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory

I don't keep up on the hardware side of things that much so any help is appreciated.

Your wishlist is empty. mind posting up links tot he CPU and mobo?

If you are looking at AMD, what is your budget? Some of their new chips are really good, like the x3, and there are some local T-F favorite boards, like the Biostar 790X.

Sorry about that Trotter.

I edited my original post with links to the mobo and CPU. I'm not looking to spend over $200 total(mobo, CPU and 4GB memory).

Mobo needs to be ATX form factor as that is what my case is.

I guess I should say I'm looking to spend around $200.

The mobo and CPU I listed with either the first or second set of RAM would be $210-$215 before shipping which would be fine with me. With the last type of RAM listed in my post I'd be at $185 before shipping.

If I need to spend an extra $40 or so by the time I get it shipped here that's fine. I plan on doing a little OC'ing with this rig so I want something that will accommodate that.

Is the combo that I listed just not a good setup?

Am I really gaining much by going to the AM3 socket 2.6Ghz triple core vs. the AM2+ 2.7Ghz Dual Core I have listed(or the 2.8Ghz processor/RAM combo Muffin Man listed)?

Here's what I need from the board I choose, this will give you guys a better idea of what I need.

Minimum mobo specs needed:

ATX form factor
Looking to go with a AMD setup because of cheaper cost(AM2+ or AM3, 2.5+ Ghz dual or triple core)
3 SATA ports
RAID would be nice.
1 IDE controller(I have two optical drives)
Onboard USB(I have two USB front connectors)
Onboard Firewire would be nice but not a necessity(One Firewire front connector on my case)
Gigabit LAN
6.1 audio
Vista compatible(and hopefully Win7 compatible in the future)
One PCI-X 16 port
Two PCI ports

That's it I think.

That Jetway board looks nice but it has some things that I just really don't need, like the onboard video and all the onboard USB connectors.

Dual core vs tri-core, though. It would be worth the extra $13.

Heck, toss in another $40 and you can get a quad.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

To stay with the tri-core, go with these combos:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $196 w/$15 MIR.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $189

CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $199

CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $191

CPU and RAM (with above mobo), total of $194

onboard video is disabled when a vid card is used. onboard USB are there if you need it, like for card readers or whatnot. Vern got this board and loves it so far.

Around 200 bucks, eh? Well check this out.

Just over 200 bucks for a quad core and an AM3 capable board that meets all your stuff. Then you can pick up this RAM:

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory

That way you're paying $262.57 after shipping, not to mention you have the option of getting back 30 bucks after rebate.

EDIT: Trotski's got some good suggestions as well.

The x4 940 has an unlocked multiplier, really easy to overclock. The 710 has a locked multiplier, but it's also cheaper. Up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom