my lingering questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin Man

muffin enthusiast
hi everyone, i wanted to post these q's because they have been bugging me alot and i cant really seem to find any real good clear answers. i hope this isn't too much of a read.

#1) are temps generally lower with a gpu with a shroud such as

Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or does it not matter.

is the shroud routing the hot air out the back better than a gpu like this

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

that only blows the air away down? would it be worth paying $15 extra + shipping to get the xfx?

#2) what is the real difference between the 770 chipset and the 790X?

i know that when they were first released, the 770 didnt have support for xfire, but apparently they do know, and this is the only board i see with that support or two x16 slots for that matter.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

this is the 790X i am also looking at, which also has xfire

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

i just want to know if the 790X is that much better the the 770 because i could save a bit right there although i wouldnt mind spending to get it. i cant really find any other differences

#3) last, how many amps should i look for in a psu for a 4850 xfire setup.

#1) The Sapphire will cool better, but does not push the hot air out of the case. why does it cool better? The design of the heatsink is better. The XFX is worth the extra money because of the double lifetime warranty, though; Sapphire has a two year warranty.

#2) RAM speed, extra PCI-E slots, etc.

#3) 550W or better for crossfire 4850s.

I believe max tdp on the 4850 to be 110v. So for two of them you would need around 18 to 19 (technically 18.333) amps on the 12v rail.

I like a little extra juice when purchasing a psu to accomidate future gpu upgrades. I would look at a quality psu in the 650watt range but Trotter is correct that a 550 with 19ish amps on the 12v rail will run it.

btw: favorite muffin man quote. "welcome fellow muffin enthusiast."

- :D lol, almost forgot bout that

thx for the input guys, just wanted to get these things cleared up.

one last thing, is there a perticular manufacturer that offers long power cables.

i almost have my mind set on a case that has a bottom mounted psu and i read on some of the reviews that short cables might be a problem + i wanna take a crack at some wire management.

oh, i forgot you could get some extensions. thx for the links.

also, i don't know about jetway. im sure its worked great for you but besides being from jetway, i don't want to use mobo's with onboard vid, i don't know why, its just a preference. plus i dont think that board supports am3 cpu's..

thx though, to everyone

AM3 works with AM2+ boards, but not reciprocal mate ;)

Its really solid, I was stupid enough to not plug-in the 8 pin connector on it.. and kept going off.. I thought I shorted the bugger hahaha (My TA780G-M2+ didn't have one, so I didn't think to include it)

ha.. i had to look up "reciprocal"...

ohh... because even sometimes when i check out the manufacturers website on their mobo, some of them dont list "AM3 CPU" ready anywhere so i thought not all am2+ boards could upgrade.

i know someone somewhere will also need this, cant possibly be just me... :)

reciprocal definition | Dictionary.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom