Constant BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoru

Beta member
I sign into Vista on my account, and after about 5 seconds or less I get a blue screen. Everytime.
Is it an emergency shutoff due to heat? Because in BIOS when idle the CPU is at, probably bad, around 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Rest of the system is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have Arctic Silver thermal grease on it and the heatsink is hooked up.
Any other problems there might be?
I appreciate the help if it is provided.
Thanks.

Give us the STOP error code as described in this section:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/

If the screen flashes too fast for you to see:
a) If you can boot into Safe Mode:
Boot into Safe Mode (F8 after BIOS screen). Start > right click Computer > Properties > ADvanced system settings > advanced tab > under Startup & Recovery click Settings > uncheck 'Automatically restart' > Hit OK on all dialog boxes > reboot and write down STOP error code as well as any other info you can provide.

b) If you cannot boot to Safe Mode:
Press F8 after BIOS screen and before WIndows loading to enter advanced boot menu. Pick the option to "disable automatic restart on system failure" and let it reboot as normal. Give same info as described above and in the linked topic.

I can't do that, it doesn't let me toggle through that menu after f8. I can't select safe mode or toggle to disable auto restart.
It says something about equal less....
I'm not sure. I can't stop the autoreboot, because I can only go into BIOS. I can't do safe mode or disable the auto restart. So I might just be flat out boned.

It's most likely this error:

STOP 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

A kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization. This STOP error is typically caused by faulty or incompatible hardware or software. The name of the offending device driver often appears in the STOP error and can provide an important clue to solving the problem. If the error message points to a specific device or category of devices, try removing or replacing devices in that category. If this STOP error appears during Setup, suspect an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup program.

First thing I'd do, is get your Vista disk, boot off of it, select recovery tools and choose the command prompt I believe, and run a chkdsk /r command on the main drive. Do that and then try to boot.

Sounds to me like an overheating issue. 160 degrees fahrenheit equivalates to about 71 degrees celsius, which is on the high side for an idling computer. You should only reach that temp at peak usage, preferably less, much less idling. Have you overclocked your CPU? If so, I'd suggest setting it back to it's default and see how the temps change and see if it clears the problem. If not that, then try as carnagex suggests, although if it is an overheating issue, it won't help. Even if heating isn't the cause of your problem, I would still look into cooling that baby off some. try blowing out the heatsink with compressed air and/or buying a better heatsink/CPU cooler, etc... good luck

If it was overheating it would not allow you to turn the PC back on right away. Are you able to hit the power button right away and get the PC booting right after it shuts down? If so i would think that while your temps are high, it isnt the main source of your problems.

I would try the check disk like carnage said but use the chkdsk /r /f parameters. It will give a more through scan.

Yes, I see your point Mak, but as he never specified whether it booted right back up, I used the information he provided to deduce that it was a heating issue. By no means am I saying that is definitely the issue. Was merely stating that, by the information provided, that is what I deduced it to be. Sorry for the confusion.

I understand. I was just clarifying how to determine if it was a over heating issue. Sometimes it is hard to tell if it is or not and that is the easiest way to tell.

I was not trying to say your information was incorrect in any way shape or form. I was just extending upon what you said to help determine how to tell.

Nothing wrong with that. That's what forums are for, a bunch of heads being put together to solve a specific problem. The more input, the better, in my view. :) Anyway, back to the point at hand, I back carnage and Mak's suggestion but, as stated above, I would still look at ways of cooling that down a bit. Idling temperatures like that are almost sure to lead to other issues, even if it not the cause of this specific one. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom