a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanv84

Baseband Member
i picked up an older Acer pc and am having trouble to get it up and running, the pc will turn on but all i get is a black screen, have tried using a video card instead of the one that is built in but its the same still only a black screen. the only info that i could pull off the mother bord was this
845GV-M2 Rev:1.2
15-H85-011202

Have you tried a different monitor? One that you know is working. Have you tried a different Cable for the monitor?

Does it have onboard graphics ? Or does it have a graphics card ? I am wondering if the graphics has gone kaput.

it has an onboard graphics card and i had thought of that as well and tryed one of my graphic cards and its still a blank screen

Have you disabled the on-board video in the system bios? And just because a few fans spin up and the board lites up doesn't mean the power supply is good. I would also look at the mobo closely for leaking capacitors or other signs or smells of damage. Does it have a modem in it? I've seen a bunch of dead modems that will keep a PC from posting. Actually any piece of hardware that is shorted can cause your problem. Try unhooking your drives and such one at a time.

You could go into your Control Panel > System > Device Manager and see what is showing next to your graphics controller that is listed. Like, is it a Red and White X ? An exclamation point (yellow) ?

Also, there just might be something wrong on the motherboard, like something could have shorted before you got it. Did you get this PC from someone you know that you can ask questions about the issue ? They may or may not be aware, but it might not hurt to ask if that is a possibility, that is.

EDIT: Slaymate beat me to the possible problem on the board...oops. I dont want to sound repetitive.

Does everything else seem to be working correctly? e.g. lights come on, fans and hdds spin up. Any beeps when you start it up?

Does everything else seem to be working correctly? e.g. lights come on, fans and hdds spin up. Any beeps when you start it up?

all the lights come on, fans spin.................. NO beeps

i have not had time to try any of the other ideas as of yet but i will try them soon and post back the results A.S.A.P.

I'm just not convinced the problem is the graphics, whether onboard or on a card.

If there's no beeps but all the lights and fans come on, and that's ALL it does, then the cpu could be busted. You'll get the same result if you completely remove the cpu and try booting. Take the heatsink off, see if there's any obvious burn/scorch marks on the cpu.

Have you got another pc you can test the cpu in?

edit: lol, I just read some of the other suggestions. How is he meant to check the device manager, bios, or anything else like that when the screen stays black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom