Upgrading DDR Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemperz

Solid State Member
Hey all, I recently posted about upgrading my ram and video card, I have since opened up my computer and realized I have 2 SDRAM slots and 2 DDR slots for ram, I thought when looking up the facts on my motherboard that I had 4 SDRAM slots and almost bought new SDRAM when now I realize I just need DDR ram, this is a picture of what the slots look like, the black ones are my SDRAM and DDR is in red http://2xod.com/articles/SDRAM vs DDR vs DDR2/SDRAM and DDR RAM Keying.jpg now what kind of ram should I buy for my computer?! I want to get it of NCIX.com but I'm unsure of what to buy, my friend can get anything through them and wants to grab some for me but I want to know exactly what I should buy, both SDRAM slots are being used so I just need the DDR, please help, muchly appreciated. Also, I am getting either a 256mb or 512 mb video card and wanted to know if I need to upgrade my power supply or anything to be able to run more ram and the video card. And I know alot of you may say I just need a better computer but I have very little money so this is the best I can do for now, thank you all!

What's your PSU wattage? And what type of video card slots do you have on you motherboard? EDIT - Oh and 1 more thing almost forgot xD what's your budget?

Sorry couldn't help on the ram problem don't know, much.

hey sorry, i don't know what kind of power supply I have, how could I find that out? and it's an brown AGP slot I have, so i would imagine AGP 8x, and for a little more info i have a amd athlon 1700 XP

Motherboard Name PCChips M825ULR
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

thanks!

Hmm well what's the model of your computer and who makes it, dell, HP etc.. What do you expect to do with these upgrades gaming?.. Working?

Hey I posted my PC specs, I had wanted the upgrades for gaming mostly, but I just took apart my computer again and realized I only have AGP 4x, and everest says my agp is 4x or 6x or somehting, and the as far as I know the graphics cards for AGP 4x are like 64mb and stuff and just not upto what I need for games, I'm really really disapointed because I had really wanted to upgrade to be able to play even some of the older games out there I love, like GTA san andreas and some of the need for speed series, but it looks like I'm basically out of luck, because I take it you can't use a AGP 8x in a 4x slot, im really disappointed, I need a better computer but I just simply can't afford a newer one, even used, I'll just have to save my pennies I suppose, or hope for santa, he does exist right?!

Lol I was put in that situation also I had a slimline and 85% of the cards didn't fit on my case. Try and save up for a new build atleast u can lol I am waaaaaaaaaaay too young for that trust me.

EDIT - if you were to save a bit how much you think you can accumulate, about $500 makes a good build also $600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom