MSI X58 Pro: No boot, no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
I recently got a build ordered for my friend which included an MSI X58 Pro, an i7 940, and a GTX 260. We put it all together (with trouble... he had a mid-tower case he insisted on using. thank goodness for tin-snips), but now it won't start up. The computer will turn on, the CPU lights at the top indicate that it's working (five LEDs) and the PCI-e slot light indicates it's working.
It'll go into a cycle of spontaneously restarting at random intervals... it could stay on for up to a minute, sometimes it restarts in a few seconds. Also, there is no video signal from the 260 in either PCI-e slots or either DVI port.
We tried taking out five of the six RAM sticks, unplugging everything that wasn't necessary for a POST, and still no luck. Also, the two CPU powers are connected and the 24 pin motherboard connector is connected, as well as the four pin one that goes right beside it. The fan of the 260 also spins up.
Anyone have any ideas?

are you only not getting video do the fans spin etc etc be short and clear you are saying you are not getting video alone but it does start like fans spinning you can hear it etc...

It's my understanding that quads need the 8 pin for power... Where as a dual only needs the 4pin.

So youre probably not giving the chip enough power. Your psu should have the 8 pin, or 2 4's that snap together for 8

Tin-snips? That just doesn't sound good. What did you cut and when did you cut it (before or after the mobo was installed)? Check for metal shavings or any metal to component contact. Try assembling the PC out of the case and see if it works. Your using 6 sticks of ram and you've tried it with just 1 stick. Try it with just 3 sticks of ram all in the same colored slots.

What size power supply are you using and what is the brand?

It's my understanding that quads need the 8 pin for power... Where as a dual only needs the 4pin.

Not entirely accurate; my old Q6600 used the 4-pin, while my E8400 now uses an 8-pin. I think it depends on the motherboard (I believe boards with OCing in mind use 8-pin to enable more power draw, maybe).

Edit: Weird, I have no idea why this thread was open when I opened FF. I assumed it was recent, sorry for the pseudo-necro.

Power supplies must comply with the ATX12V 2.2 design guidelines (see the Form Factors website for details) and supply additional current on the 12V power rail through a 2x2 connector. The Intel Core i7 processor requires a minimum of 8 Amps continuous and 13 Amps peak for 10ms on 12V2. All Intel Core i7 processor-based systems require either the standard 2x10, 20-pin ATX power connector or the new 24-pin ATX power connecter as well as the 2x2, 4-pin 12V connector.
Integration of the Boxed Intel® Core™ i7 Processor

My board came with 4 of the 8 pins blocked so you could either run a 4 pin or pull the plug and run an 8 pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom