Weird GPU Artifacting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this problem with my BFG card (Old 6200OC), I took a risk, and flashed the card with a different VGA bios. Lasted me a lot longer. I don't know if you'll be able to do that with the 8800, or even you would even want to try that.

Just looked at the receipt and we bought the PC on 6/1/08. I sent BFG an e-mail (found the 24/7 tech support e-mail on the box) and they haven't replied yet.

I really have no idea what flashing means, but I don't want to do anything to the card right now. If there is a chance of them sending me a new one, I don't want to have anything done to the card that might void the warranty.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I'll post back here what happens when I get a reply back.

My laptop display looked similar to that when my 8400gs died on me. It is integrated on the mobo so Dell had to replace the whole shebang.

Wow, I guess it is dead then. I thought so since I couldn't even get to the login screen anymore, but it runs fine with the onboard graphics. It's been about an hour and a half since I sent the e-mail, no reply yet. So much for 24/7 service... We will try to give them a call. Will post back on how it goes.

My mom is mailing the card back to BFG today. When I was talking to the BFG tech support (well e-mail) She said they send either new or refurbished cards back. Are these refurbished cards reliable? I just don't feel like having to do this again in a few months.

Also, I was thinking the short lifetime of this might be due to high temperatures when I first got this PC. When I got it, I didn't know anything about temperature monitoring or keeping it cool (I've learned a lot this past year). Maybe the high temperatures early in it's life contributed to it dieing only being 1 year old. I was thinking of an aftermarket cooler. Only problem is that there is no space for it to draw cool air from, making it kinda useless. Only place I have is the extra openings on the back of the case for extra cards to go. Those are right above where the GPU slot is. I still don't think that would be enough space to draw cool air from though. Don't think mom will let me start cutting the case either ;). Do you guys think it would be worth it getting one?

I finally got my replacement GPU today. To my surprise they didn't send me another 8800GT, they sent me a 9800GT! I just didn't hook it up yet because I'm wondering if my PSU can handle it. This is my exact PSU: Antec - EA 500 Right now I have a Xbox 360 controller, a router (has separate AC power), 160 GB WD external HD, Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Sorround (has separate AC power) 19" Samsung Widescreen monitor (has separate AC power) mouse and keyboard plugged into my computer. With all of this, could my PSU safely power the 9800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom