Combining/Replacing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostedflake90

Beta member
I just received a stock Dell precision 360 that I'd like to upgrade a bit.. My current computer is lacking a decent-speed processor, and the 2.8 Ghz on the Dell is better than my 1.99Ghz. Other than that, I have HD ATI graphics and 2 GB of RAM(2 sticks of 1GB). Now I want to put the RAM onto the Dell, which has 4 sticks of 256 MB. Those are DDR, and my RAM is most likely DDR2. Would the computer be able to run my DDR2 alone? I don't plan on combining them as they're different types, but I just want to assure myself before I start swapping the sticks.

Help is appreciated:D

It would depend on if your current computer has a motherboard able to use DDR2. What is your current PC, before the Dell ? The 1.99Ghz one. If it isn't specifically capable of using DDR2, then no you can't use the DDR2 RAM.

My current computer is a custom one that's already running the DDR2, but I'm trying to figure out if the 2.8 Ghz one can hold the DDR2 and not just DDR.
What's the easiest way to figure this out?

You can see what type of Memory you need by going to Crucial.com and using there System Scanner or the Memory Advisor :D

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com
aha!
Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - Determine My Memory Needs

Both of my 1GB sticks are DDR, so that would mean I can fit them into the new computer?
If that problem is resolved, I think I'll have trouble with my graphics. It requires a power connector from the power supply, and I barely got the wires to extend to my graphics card in this computer. I don't see how I can do it in the new one though :(

Both of my 1GB sticks are DDR, so that would mean I can fit them into the new computer?
If that problem is resolved, I think I'll have trouble with my graphics. It requires a power connector from the power supply, and I barely got the wires to extend to my graphics card in this computer. I don't see how I can do it in the new one though :(

It depends also what the maximum RAM you can use in the Dell. If it had (4) 256MB sticks, it may not take both 1GB sticks, I am thinking not but that is an assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom