Your Wall-Mounted HDTV Probably Violates Electrical Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Your Wall-Mounted HDTV Probably Violates Electrical Codes

Gizmodo ran across an interesting tidbit of information that could have a direct affect on many of you. According to the article, running the cords from your HDTV through your walls is a violation of the National Electric Code that could void your insurance coverage.

Running power cords through the walls is not a substitute for permanent wiring. You're supposed to have a new electric socket installed directly behind the TV, where you can plug in the power cord and coil up the slack to tuck underneath. If you drilled some holes and ran cable yourself all willy nilly, in and back out to a power socket, chances are you are in violation of these codes. Should a fire result, your insurance may find reason to get out of covering your losses.

The way I have avoided this in the office here is hide the cables externally with off the shelf material from the local hardware store for a few bucks (is there nothing plastic rain gutter material can't do?).

I never would have suspected that. I guess if there is a possibility of your insurance company not covering you, I would definitely rather just hide the coiled up cable. Looks like it violates two rules (2 and 5), they could pull off a double whammy on you.
If you drilled some holes and ran cable yourself all willy nilly
I couldn't help but to laugh at that ;).

I find this interesting, considering most places that do an install like that, won't install new recepticals and such... Wonder if this also accounts for HDMI cables, wonder if they have to have a break out box...

Hmm..I should mention this article to my manager, as he does this occassionally when he does installs for people.

After reading this, I have found some incredibly cheap HDMI keystones, $5.00 each... And a few other really nice things... I think I will end up re-wiring my room

Hmm..I should mention this article to my manager, as he does this occassionally when he does installs for people.

yea really..house catches on fire they will sue a company for suing a wiring that isn't covered by insurance.

I guess it's because if it catches on fire you can't get to it....but that's the case with any wiring. I think it's just insurance companies wanting to be picky and not cover people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom