New Gaming/Work Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

traeno

Solid State Member
So after several months of plowing it over Ive decided to build a new gaming/work rig. I know the concept behind what i want but i would like to see the input you all have. I would like to go I7 Extreme. I would like SLI on some good video cards. I need at least 6 - 12 gigs of ram since this machine will also be kinda work related and running around 4 - 6 VM sessions at a time. This is a new build from the ground up. It will need everything from case to thermal paste. The budget i have to work with is $2400 - $2600. I don't care about MIR's since i am a lazy American and wont bother anyways. Combo's aren't in my best interest since i wont be building this until sometime in late July early August. You all are more professional at this then me and hence the reason i want to see what you all come up with. On a last note i am leaning towards 12g of ram since I will be running multiple VM's, so let me know if im going over board on that part please. I also wont need a OS for the machine since that will be provided for me by the company i work with.

Well if I boot up 4 VM's on my Vista machine I run out of memory and thats just having 3 running with no programs running (uses 7.4GB) and then booting the last one. So I would say 12GB would be justified.

I personally wouldn't get a extreme chip since even though they are faster they're not really worth the extra cost.

And I'm American and I always send in my MIR :) Money back is almost like free money though if you can get the intial costs to be lower by getting something with a MIR then I can understand..

Well i really like the I7 chips. I've been using them in a lab at my work and have grown really fond of them, they seem to handle just about everything i throw at them. I'm open to other ideas, but i think in the end i will most likely go with a I7 chip, Most likely not the 1k Extreme chip, unless someone here writes up a good build that includes it for under $2600 or right at $2600. Thats why i would like some ideas on hardware. The people here always seem to come up with good builds with decent budgets.

Yea, Im sorry, i tossing around Extreme like it was every chip, thats my bad.

thats quite a bit of money to spend, considering that the cpu you want is almost half the entire cost. the only advantage that i can see in the extreme ones over the regular ones is the they have an unlocked multiplier so i guess you could reach higher overclocks more easily.

if you wait until the time to buy, you can save a bit of money from the combo's that are available at that time.

with no combo's this is what i came up with. $2408

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield 3.33GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory (2 of these)
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - XFX GX285NZDDF GeForce GTX 285 XXX 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives (OS + programs drive)
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives (data drive)
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

The reason for the high dollar amount is to make sure i build this system strong enough to last for 3 - 5 years. I dont mind spending so much if it will last. Plus crazy processing speed is useful sometimes since I have random jobs within my company asking me to do crazy stuff.

I would go with something like Muffin Man posted except I would get a lower end core i7 and just overclock it. Also with the money saved grab another gtx285 for sli. I'd also get a 850tx psu since its only $20 more.

Well i could drop a I7 920 on that motherboard and be fine it looks like. Saving that grand picking up a 2nd video card is a nice thought. Will the cooling solution he offer be good enough to OC and keep it cool? Also the 850W PS sounds like a good choice for SLI.

The Xigmatek cooler should do pretty well. i7's overclock well (D0 revision is suppose to be even better) even on stock cooling.

And yeah a 850tx should be fine for sli, even the 750tx would handle it. I just said 850tx since its only a little more and gives you a bit more headroom if you ever need more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom