Need help with i7 and triple channel OC'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domestic

In Runtime
I just recently put together an i7 build and I am a little confused about some things regarding overclocking of the CPU and RAM.
I've checked out youtube tutorials and other guides but its not really clicking with me so I was hoping someone knowledgeable could help me out with a few questions.
I am using the P6T motherboard and have the i7 920 D0.
For Ram I have this set: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 3x2GB OCZ3P1600LV6GK OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 3x2GB OCZ3P1600LV6GK [OCZ3P1600LV6GK] - $195.00 : PC Case Gear, Quality case accessories and components

I have been basically upping the baseclock from the default 133 to about 150 resulting in a core speed of about 3.1ghz.
I notice that when my system is sitting idle with just firefox or foobar open the core speed will drop to about 1.6ghz is this the power saving feature of the P6T or is this unusual?

I am kind of confused when it comes to ram. Is it best to try and run my ram at a certain frequency or just focus on getting the lowest timings possible. Currently it is set to 1066mhz.

When I up the ram frequency the timings get higher and when I lower them the timings are lower. I need some direction on what I should be aiming for:confused:

And with the FSB:DRAM ratio is 2:8 healthy or should it be something else?

Anyway this is how it looks at the moment:
[/IMG]

I appreciate any advice!

The reason for your speed to drop is that you have speedstep enabled.

try starting with a bclk of 160 (this will be no problem at stock vcore) and set your ram to its stock 1600.

You will need to bump up the ram voltage to its rated 1.65v.

You may need to set the timings manually. 7-7-7-24 are the stock settings. Best to start here.

The reason for your speed to drop is that you have speedstep enabled.

try starting with a bclk of 160 (this will be no problem at stock vcore) and set your ram to its stock 1600.

You will need to bump up the ram voltage to its rated 1.65v.

You may need to set the timings manually. 7-7-7-24 are the stock settings. Best to start here.
Ok thanks I will do that.
Also is it better to have speedstep on or off if I am not concerned about saving power etc.?

Ok I set to the baseclock to 160. The closest I can select for my ram to 1600 is 1604. Is that ok, if not do I have to change the voltage or something?

Ok thanks Hefemeister,
Also one last question, what is the correlation between higher ram frequency and the timing of the ram?
Is it generally better to have ram at a higher frequency and have the timings as low as possible and what is this limited by?

Well ideally you want the highest frequency possible with the lowest timings possible.

I would run yours cas7 and see how fast you can run the ram with it still passing memtest.

My build will also have the P6T and the OCZ platinum. This thread should help me tremendously once I finish building.

If it is that easy to bump the BCLCK to 160 at stock vcore then that is good news. That's is basically where I am aiming at. Around 3.2 OC. Then, once I get comfortable, I can bump it up.

Those OCZz require manually entering the timings, etc. That should be easy as pie, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom