Noobie - Anyone know what kind of Ram I take?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemperz

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I have an AMD athlon 1700 XP 1466 mhz and I have a friend who wants to hook me up with some more ram, and I was just wondering what kind of ram I have, I use everest to tell me about my computer and it says I use SDRAM and was wondering is this different then DDR, and if it is, can I use DDR ram and which kind, DDR1, DDR2?? So any help on what kind of ram I can use for my computer would be a huge help, thanks all. Also, is there a cap on how much ram I can use, like can I install too much, any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

yes, DDR is newer than SDRAM.

so if it says that your pc is currently running SDRAM, DDR wouldn't work, they even have different number of pins so the DDR ram would physically not fit your motherboard.

and the amount is limited by both the motherboard that you have and wether you have 32-bit or 64-bit windows.

if you can post the model number of your motherboard, we can check what available ram there is for you to upgrade.

Hey all, second posting today, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, I'm running and AMD Athlon 1700 XP 1466 MHz, My current graphics card is an onboard S3 prosavage DDR card, and I want a new graphics card desperatley, a friend said he could get me a cheap 512 mb card and was wondering can I even run that, and can i run a DDR2 card or does it have to be DDR, its for an AGP slot, so any help would be great, im only running 384 mb of ram right now, but am upgrading the ram at the same time as the graphics card, so any help on what kind of ram I need would be really helpful too, I know it takes SDram but is it DDR and if so what kind DDR1 or 2?! any help would be great thanks!

This is what I get from everest on my model number is this what you need, if not how do I find the model number?

Motherboard Name PCChips M825ULR
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266

And I'm pretty sure I'm running 32 bit windows, i use Xp pro SP2

Thanks!

yea i was pretty sure too that you were running 32-bit, which allow you to utilize up to 3.25-3.50 gigs max.

but honestly, upgrading the ram won't give much of a speed boost. you are very limited to what you can upgrade too.

maybe its time for a new build.

Thanks for the reply, so does this mean I can use any kind of SDRAM for my computer? Or am is there different types for different computer makes, and how would I know if it will work for my computer, thanks!

Re: Upgrading Graphics Card

Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - About Crucial:Media Toolbox

Run that scanner and it'll tell you what kind of RAM to buy, then I'll find a kit for you

As for the Video Card, there aren't that many good AGP cards, but tell the specs of your PSU (wattage and try to include a picture of the sticker of the PSU on it)

You can run any AGP card and you can run any type of Video RAM it has, even if your rig does use DDR1 only.

SDRAM = 168 pin
DDR = 184 pin

SDRAM only comes in PC100 and PC133 speeds. You can run either one.

I can find very little info on your motherboard. I was trying to find out what the max is that the motherboard can handle but could not find it.

I merged your two threads together, since they were asking the same thing anyways

Here you go Kemp: VIA KM266 - VIA Technologies, Inc.

That's your chipset info. It states your motherboard's chipset can handle a max of PC 133 or DDR 266. As for finding out which memory it takes, SD RAM has two notches in it while DDR only has one. Look for that on your motherboard's RAM slot and you're good to go :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom